Hot on the heels of the release of his summery debut single ‘Into The Sun’, we get to know Chester Mo.
We presented the Queensland native’s first ever release on Friday, but decided to scratch the surface a little more and roll out our series of probing questions.
Here are Chester’s all-important answers!
01. Name : Chester Mo.
02. Where are you based? Brisbane.
03. How did you get your start in music? I grew up around contemporary Christian music and at the rebellious age of 13 I bribed my parents into getting me drum lessons in exchange for regular church attendance haha. I played in as many punk rock bands as I could and switched over to guitar some years later because I wasn’t coordinated enough to play fills and sing coherently at the same time.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Real, relatable, emotional, weird, almost funny.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I guess you might call it chill alt-pop. I’m a singer / songwriter at heart but I have a very eclectic taste in music from punk to EDM. I strive to create a sound that’s uniquely me but easy to sing along to.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? We had an upright piano in the house growing up. When mum wasn’t chasing after six kids she was smashing out the Jesus tunes on that thing. That vibrato still haunts me to this day.
07. Who have been your musical influences? There’s so many, but early days I’d say John Mayer, Maroon 5, Lior, Beach Boys and Green Day to name a few. Lately… Jon Bellion, Lauv, Ed Sheeran, Troye Sivan, Charlie Puth.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? This is tough, I have several in all different genres haha… ‘Why Georgia’ by John Mayer, ‘Welcome To The Black Parade’ by My Chemical Romance.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? In the shower, but I only ever get through about one or two songs before I feel bad for wasting water. So next would be the car, fully cranked and singing at the top of my lungs.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling : Happy? Sad? Introspective? Exhausted? I feel all those things all the time and my go to artists right now are Lauv, Dean Lewis, Julia Michaels, Khalid.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? Green Day’s ‘Dookie’.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I can beat anyone at ping pong… haha.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? A professor of something… evolutionary and behavioural psychology, perhaps.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? “Write for the bin”.
15. What’s been the highlight of your musical journey so far? Well my solo journey has just begun. But I’d saying working with Stuart Stuart (Sheppard, The Veronicas) on these first few tracks was pretty amazing.
16. What’s been the strangest experience you’ve had in the business? I’ll come back to you on this one.
17. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? Uh… Ed Sheeran 1000%.
18. Tell us about your latest release. The song’s called ‘Into The Sun’ it’s an upbeat, shimmering summer anthem. I wrote this when I was feeling overwhelmed with the business of life. In my head I just imagined driving to the coast, escaping the world for a bit. I got the chorus melody stuck in my head and just went with it.
19. What do your future plans involve? Heaps more music and lots of shows coming up. Hopefully I get to connect with as many people as I can through my music.
20. Where can our audience catch you live? I will be announcing shows very shortly!!
WEBSITE : http://www.chestermo.com
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/chestermomusic/
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/chestermomusic/
TWITTER : https://www.twitter.com/chestermo1
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/chestermo
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjt4tB5GORiNd_IdObgUQuQ?view_as=subscriber