Get to know Jason Winston, a Sydney artist who recently released his very Melbourne single called ‘Yarra’.
Taking its name from the famous river that runs through the heart of the southern metropolis, the track has a deeper, more personal meaning to Jason.
But to find out what, you’ll have to dig through the answers to our probing questions in our latest auspOp feature.
01. Name : Jason Winston.
02. Where are you based? Sydney.
03. How did you get your start in music? I sung ‘When Doves Cry’ in the kitchen for my dad one time and he told me, “it needs work”. And so I did.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Flow, heart, queer, golden, joy.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I was writing music on the acoustic guitar for a little while and kept hearing the distance between what I was writing and the music I was enjoying at the time. I knew the answer was to sit down with my computer and teach myself production on Logic and start creating in the electronic dance pop space.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? Waking up and sitting in front of the heater before primary school while my parents played classical music from the kitchen.
07. Who have been your musical influences? SZA, Frank Ocean, James Blake, Troye Sivan, Erykah Badu, Christine and the Queens.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘Limit To Your Love’ – James Blake, ‘Garden (Say It Like That)’ – SZA, ‘Next Lifetime’ – Erykah Badu, ‘Good To Be Alone’ – Matt Corby, ‘Mi Amor’ – Plastic Mode, ‘There Will Be Tears’ – Frank Ocean, ‘Hold Tight’ – Change.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? Walking down the street.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling : Happy? Sad? Introspective? Exhausted? This is constantly changing. Right now I’m living in the world of Junglepussy, Doja Cat, Tierra Whack, Tame Impala, Key One, Kylie Minogue.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? I think it was a Sum 41 album.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. My middle name is Golden.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Film maker.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Keep your eyes on your own paper.
15. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? Christine and the Queens. She seems like she knows how to have fun.
16. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Yarra’ is a song about trust, flow and new love. It follows a date I had at Fonda (a restaurant in Melbourne) that ended up by the Yarra. An electro dance pop track reminding me to relax and give over.
17. What do your future plans involve? Write, learn, perform. Finish the production of the album and continue to expand my skills. I also want to take time out to craft a live show beyond the performance of the songs themselves.
18. Where can our audience catch you live? More info coming up later in the year about this.