We featured her excellent debut single earlier in the week, but now it’s time to get to know Melissa Ramsay with an extended feature.
We said Melissa’s first ever track was “a glimmering homegrown pop gem” as part of a story earlier in the week.
But we knew there was more to the story, so we rolled out our probing questions.
Here, Melissa answers them.
1. Name : Melissa Ramsay.
2. Where are you based? Melbourne, Australia.
3. How did you get your start in music? I was always fascinated with how songs were structured when I was a kid and I’d listen to the radio every night before bed and analyse how they were written. I wrote my first song when I was about seven or eight years old and performed it from my driveway (naturally, it was trash).
I dabbled with a few instruments when I was younger, but when I was about 12, I started learning guitar and writing songs consistently.
4. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Expressive, introspective, reflective, honest & adventurous.
5. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I used to write a lot of acoustic songs and always imagined adding more instruments like drums, keys and guitars. When I started doing feature vocals for EDM tracks, I started listening to a lot more electronic music and from there I decided I really liked cool synths and darker sounding instrumentals and that they matched my lyrical content and voice.
6. What’s your earliest musical memory? Probably that terrible performance from my driveway.
7. Who have been your musical influences? Definitely City and Colour. I love BANKS too.
8. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘Slow Burn’ by Kacey Musgraves, ‘Habits’ by Tove Lo and ‘Harder Than Stone’ by City and Colour.
9. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? The car for sure!
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling :
Happy : Kacey Musgraves.
Sad : Kacey Musgraves.
Introspective : City and Colour.
Exhausted : BANKS.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? I think it was probably a My Chemical Romance album.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I’m half Egyptian and have seen the pyramids and they’re awesome.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Social work.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Make music you would want to listen to and that you love.
15. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? Kacey Musgraves. I would love to experience a day in her life and she’s just awesome!
16. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Halo’ was inspired by this time in my life that I was reflecting on who I was as a person. I wanted to take this black and white approach to what makes a “good person” i.e. good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell, to convey that I am like everyone else, just human.
Good people can do bad things too, it doesn’t make you inherently “bad”. My good friend Hayden Jeffery produced ‘Halo’ and I love every minute of his wonderful production and how he brought my words to life.
17. What do your future plans involve? ‘Halo’ has a music video coming out soon which is super exciting! I’ve got a lot more music coming too. I am looking forward to dropping another track before the end of 2019.
18. Where can our audience catch you live? I am in the process of developing a live show so stay tuned!
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/melissaramsaymusic/
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/melissaramsaymusic/
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/iammelissar
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/melissaramsaymusic
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/user/musicmelissaramsay/