Get to know Winifred, a new artist out of Melbourne who’s armed with her gorgeous debut single ‘Chain’.
It’s a story about not being able to move on from a partner from the past; their memory serving as the proverbial chain around your ability to move forward with your life.
It’s rather lovely. So we decided to get to know a little more about the woman behind the song.
So join us as we get to know Winifred.
01. Name : Winifred.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne.
03. How did you get your start in music? I made my start playing solo acoustic gigs in Townsville where I grew up.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Composer, collaborator, instrumentalist, cinematic, dramatic.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I travelled to LA on a writing trip where I worked with a number of different producers. While over there I began crafting a new sound and unknowingly planted the seed of what Winifred would become. After that I travelled to London and Berlin where I continued to write and further refine my sound.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? Jamming out when I was very little on my mum and dad’s PA system and microphone.
07. Who have been your musical influences? I’m more influenced by individual songs rather than individual artists. Thank goodness for the playlist function on Spotify.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? I have many favourite songs of all time but my most played song on Spotify at the moment is ‘Sanctuary’ by Joji. Hmm of all time though… I think ‘Running Up That Hill’ by Kate Bush was so ahead of its time.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? On an aeroplane at night.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling : Happy? Sad? Introspective? Exhausted? When I’m feeling anything other than happy or neutral I tend to not listen to music that will match or exacerbate how I’m feeling.
As much as music is a huge part of my everyday life, I find that I don’t consciously lean towards particular artists or genres in relation to how I’m feeling.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? ‘Juturna’ by Circa Survive.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I failed music in high school and got kicked out of concert band for improvising and not reading the sheet music. I played clarinet.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Psychologist, or weirdly I’ve always been intrigued by perfumery.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? If you ever get nervous before going on stage, take a minute with yourself and tell your self that you’re the shit. Then go on stage believing that.
15. What’s been the highlight of your musical journey so far? Since ‘Chain’ is my debut release, I would have to say it’s been the opportunity to travel and work alongside so many interesting people.
16. What’s been the strangest experience you’ve had in the business? The majority of my sessions in LA were pretty weird… in my opinion it’s a pretty strange place.
17. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? Hmm I don’t know about trade places, but I’m really inspired by Emily Krueger’s guitar playing. That girl has chops.
18. Tell us about your latest release. I wrote ‘Chain’ in London on a cold winter’s day with a UK producer by the name of Tim Gordine. ‘Chain’ is about that feeling like you’re bound by memories, haunted by someone as if they were a physical chain around your neck. But it’s also about piercing through that veil that distorts your vision and plays tricks on your mind. In essence, confronting and reclaiming.
19. What do your future plans involve? I’m releasing a live performance video of ‘Chain’ soon. I also have another single in the pipeline for early next year!
20. Where can our audience catch you live? I’m currently working on my live show with Melbourne artist Yeo. I’m itching to start sharing everything I’ve been working on in a live setting. It’s feeling really good so far, hopefully I’ll have updates on that very soon.
WEBSITE : https://www.winifredmusic.com
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/winifredmusic/
INSTAGRAM : https://instagram.com/winifred.music
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/winifredmusic
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-7zscJVCPAijJ55kN8IArQ