We get to know BOI, the moniker of Sydney singer songwriter Anna Buckingham. She’s just dropped her latest single ‘Beast And Beauty’.
She’s answered our questions all the way from Los Angeles, where she’s currently based on a writing trip.
So who is she? And how gorgeous and polished is her latest single?
You’ll find all the details (and the single stream) below.
01. Name : BOI (aka Anna Buckingham).
02. Where are you based? Sydney, Australia.
03. How did you get your start in music? I was a drama kid growing up, always performing and found my love for singing and music through musical theatre.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. A storyteller, colourful, quirky, unexpected and humble.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. My sound developed through many years of listening to various genres and being inspired.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? Singing along to Tina Arena running down the hall as my mum played it a lot growing up.
07. Who have been your musical influences? Growing up I listened to a lot of No Doubt, Bachelor Girl and Killing Heidi.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘Dancing In The Moonlight – Toploader.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? Walking through the city with really good headphones on.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling:
Happy : Icona Pop – ‘I Love It’ (ftg. Charli XCX).
Sad : Coldplay – ‘Yellow’.
Introspective : Frank Ocean – ‘White Ferrari’.
Exhausted : Luke Howard.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? Taxiride – ‘Imaginate’.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I have a natural white patch on the top of my forehead that also turned my hair white from root to tip just in that one spot that I wasn’t born with, it just grew on my head when I was 14. It’s called Vitaligo.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? I started a media/communications degree straight out of school before I realised that I wasn’t destined for anything other than performing and music.
If it couldn’t be music, it’d be some sort of role entertaining and probably focused on kids.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Finish every song you start. The difference between try and triumph is the little UMPH.
15. What’s been the highlight of your musical journey so far? Meeting Outpost management and within a year – having a publishing contract and three singles out.
16. What’s been the strangest experience you’ve had in the business? Touring with the Vengaboys on their national tour as a Spice Girls tribute electro/rock band called ‘The Herbs’. It was the original members of my band.
17. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? Ed Sheeran. He’s been doing some incredible collabs and I would love to one day make an album of collaborations.
18. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Beast And Beauty’. It’s about the beautiful and ugly parts of oneself that is revealed in a relationship.
19. What do your future plans involve? I’m currently on a writing trip in LA writing with some amazingly talented people and will see what becomes of that.
20. Where can our audience catch you live? Next live show is on Boxing Day at The Cambridge in Newcastle. Tickets available at https://thecambridgehotel.com.au/boxing-day-5dcb465642ccb.
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/notyourboi/
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/boi.music/
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoZ6uZ_bS3DSpTHVWzo9D6w