You didn’t think a new girl group could pop up down under without us creating a Get To Know feature right? Say hello to G-Nat!ion!
Yes, Australia’s newest girl group is straight outta Adelaide, they’re armed with their debut single ‘Girls Night Out’ and they’re hungry for more.
Group member Taylah answers our pressing questions.
01. Band name : G-NAT!ON.
02. Where are you based? Adelaide, South Australia.
03. Who are your members? Taylah, Isla, Emma, Alessia, Mateja and Rylee.
04. And what role do they play in the band? As a group, we are all incredibly passionate singers, dancers and performers and feel our dynamic comes together really well. But as individuals, we all have our elements to add to the group.
Taylah – Our focussed songwriter, lyricist and musician with a strong environmental purpose.
Isla – Our edgy rapper of the group who is a reality TV die hard.
Emma – Our fashionista with a powerhouse of vocals.
Alessia – Our dancing queen who knows how to strike a pose. Mad about dogs and make up tutorials.
Mateja – Our Disney-obsessed, beach-loving singer/dancer who is always the loudest.
Rylee – known as the group’s princess, who loves summer and is obsessed with Pink. But boy can she dance.
05. How did you choose your band name? We were originally called Girl Nation because we felt it was the perfect match for our dynamic and energy. This then transformed to G-NAT!ON as it is inclusive, relevant for today, but still captures our origin.
06. Give us five words to best describe the band. Passionate, Fierce, Empowered, Confident and Creative.
07. How was the band formed? Some of us already knew each other as we danced together at the Australian Company of Performing Arts. However, Pep Rigano our manager, had the vison to create a female pop group that would relay current messages to teenage girls through music.
We all attended an audition with about 60 other girls and were so lucky to be chosen as a member of G-NAT!ON. We have been performing and inspiring others ever since then.
08. Tell us a little bit about your sound. Our sound is quite unique as we tend to mix the genre of R&B and pop. This incorporation of the two genres provides a fresh and new sound for our group. Our strong harmonies and creative hooks separate us from other pop bands and artists.
09. If you had to compare yourselves to an already established act sound-wise, who would it be? Well it would have to be… Little Mix! They are one of our biggest inspirations. We love how they perform, we love their vocal arrangements… ughhh they are just everything! Probably most of all, they are strong, empowering and inspire us to do what we love.
10. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? We have definitely matured visually and vocally over the past two years. Not only have we grown up, but we have created a stronger sound and clearer image of who and what we stand for. Our connection, now an unbreakable bond, is visible through the way we present ourselves.
11. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? We all have very different music tastes and interests. Some our favourite songs are:
Taylah’s choice : ‘Vesuvius’ by Guy Sebastian.
Alessia’s Choice : ‘Bloodline’ by Ariana Grande.
Emma’s Choice : ‘Crazy In Love’ by Beyonce.
Isla’s Choice : ‘Good For You’ by Lizzo.
Rylee’s Choice : ‘Senorita’ by Camila Cabello and Shawn Mendes.
Mateja’s Choice : ‘Me Necesita’ by PrettyMuch.
12. Which song from history do you all wish you’d written? If we could choose one song we wish we had written, it would be ‘Run The World (Girls)’ by Beyonce. The song is so powerful and represents our message, values and beliefs. And it’s Beyonce!!!!
13. What’s been the biggest highlight of your band’s journey so far? Our biggest highlight so far is the debut of our single ‘Girls Night Out’! As a group, we have all worked really hard to produce something fresh, fun and relevant.
It includes, spending three days filming our exciting music video and days in the recording studio to get the right sound. ‘GNO’ is our perfect anthem and we are so excited for everyone to have a listen and share it around.
14. What’s been your strangest experience as a band? Our strangest experience as a band would have to be walking out at our very first live show in Adelaide. There were hundreds of fans, screaming for us and it was honestly just the craziest experience. So intimate, but so fun and an amazing opportunity to connect with our fans.
I guess it put everything into perspective. How far we had come as a band, and to see how many people genuinely wanted to support us and our music.
15. Who’s your most passionate groupie? We have one obsessed young woman who supports us in whatever we do. She is so enthusiastic that she calls herself the 7th member of G-NAT!ON and has customised merchandise. We love her and her support so much.
16. Are you hotel trashers, cup of tea drinkers or somewhere in between? I think we are somewhere in-between. We are all very outgoing individuals who love to dance and have a good time. Normally after a live show we just all hang out together, and have a damn good time.
17. If you could score the support slot for any act, who would you choose? Performing as support act for Little Mix would be our dream! Who knows, maybe in the near future we might be lucky enough to tour and have a show of our own.
18. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Girls Night Out’ is our very first single release and we describe as our summer anthem. The tropical pop sound and influence that we decided to embrace, is incredibly catchy and will get you up dancing. It follows a strong message about how girls can go out, have a great time without the influence of any boys.
Also, we have realised that by being together and supporting each other, we can create something powerful, and hope this passes on to all our fans.
19. What do your plans for global superstardom involve? Woah! Global superstardom! I guess linking back to previous comments, this would allow us the opportunity to speak a strong and powerful message through our music and performance. There is a big difference between performing for a crowd and listening to a track on Spotify or Apple music.
The atmosphere, love and support that you get from a crowd is an incredible feeling and we would all love experience this is in countries all over the world.
20. Where can our audience catch you live? We will be performing at Carols By Candlelight at Elder Park very soon. You can come along and enjoy a night of Christmas carols as well as a live performance from us. We are so excited to get into the Christmas spirit and enjoy this incredible holiday with you and your families.
If you follow us on the social media links below, you can receive updates of any upcoming live events. We are hoping to tour once our EP is released.