Get to know IMPERIALS, a fresh act out of Sydney who today drop their debut single ‘Carolina’.
It’s a groovy little tune and we were quite taken with it when we were first sent it a couple of weeks ago.
So how better to scratch the surface and find out a little more about this intriguing new outfit than by sending them our 20 probing questions.
These are IMPERIALS’ answers;
01. Band name : We are IMPERIALS.
02. Where are you based? We are based in Sydney.
03. Who are your members? Ingrid, Josh And Joey.
04. And what role do they play in the band? We produce, write and record our own music.
Josh – vocals, guitar, bass.
Ingrid – vocals, guitar, keys.
Joey – drums and percussion.
05. How did you choose your band name? We liked something that resembled the word ‘Royals’ so came across Imperials through synonyms. We weren’t too sure of the name at first until we saw ‘Imperial’ on the sink in the studio, it was meant to be. :)
06. Give us five words to best describe the band. Tropical, fun, cheeky (but cute), honest, endless summer (sorry that was two words).
07. How was the band formed? We all met a Josh’s studio (Arthur Street Studios) in Sydney. Ingrid and Josh had been writing together for a couple of years and had already birthed the idea of IMPERIALS originally as a duo. We started to put together a live act and needed a drummer, so we asked one of our best friends Joey to come in and play as a session drummer but when we all played the songs together it made it so very apparent that this wasn’t meant to be a duo but a trio and asked him to join as a full member.
08. Tell us a little bit about your sound. Just think of taking a road trip to your favorite or first summer festival with your best friends. It’s an endless summer vibe.
09. If you had to compare yourselves to an already established act sound-wise, who would it be? It’s very hard to compare yourself to other artist, but if we had to do so, we can be compared to, Sheppard, DNCE, Years and Years.
10. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? We started out as duo but now, we’re a trio. :D
11. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? We’ve been asked this question many times, but still can’t find the right answer, the list is absolutely endless!
12. Which song from history do you all wish you’d written? Same thing … can’t answer haha!
Josh – I’m too moody to ever land on one ha!
Joey – Is playing drums at the moment so can’t answer
Ingrid – ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ (Queen) and ‘Handlebars’ (Flobots). It blows my mind how courages a band could be to write something so different and making it work!
13. What’s been the biggest highlight of your band’s journey so far? Just having the opportunity to release our first single, we are very fortunate.
14. What’s been your strangest experience as a band? We haven’t had one yet but we look forward to what weird wacky shit is in store for us out there!
15. Who’s your most passionate groupie? Ingrid’s husband …. Literally haha. And Will and Jeremy our agents.
16. Are you hotel trashers, cup of tea drinkers or somewhere in between? Ingrid definitely a tea drinker, Joey and Josh on the other hand………
17. If you could score the support slot for any act, who would you choose? Awwwwww anyone that would like our vibe! We are always stoked to be out playing!
18. Tell us about your latest release. Our debut single ‘Carolina’ is out now on all streaming platforms. ‘Carolina’ is a bittersweet moment where you think you have it all until you snap out of it.
You do absolutely everything you can to make this person happy but realise you aren’t getting anything in return.
The more you try, the more you love, the more distant and indecisive that person grows.
You fall into a trap and live a surreal experience for just that moment. It was too good to be real, so you convince yourself you were only there for lust, but knowing damn well it was something more.
‘Carolina’ is based on a real person; we wouldn’t have written this song if it weren’t for them. 😉
19. What do your plans for global superstardom involve? A couple of Grammys, world tours just to start things off nice and easy.
20. Where can our audience catch you live? TBA.