Get to know JUNIE this Valentine’s Day. He’s a Sydney singer-songwriter who’s just stepped out solo for the very first time.
We’re digging his new single ‘Exercise’, so we thought we’d share it with you alongside one of our trusty features.
But enough about us… let’s get on to knowing about JUNIE (or should that be Doctor Jones?).
01. Name : JUNIE.
02. Where are you based? I am mostly based in Sydney for now. It’s my hometown and where I have always lived!
03. How did you get your start in music? I have been singing ever since I can remember! But I’ve been the lead singer of Bootleg Rascal for the last six years. It’s really taught me a lot and I’m still doing it!!! But it’s nice to have my own thing going, I think it’s real different.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Corny, Romantic, Smooth, Sweet, Velvet.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. Well I was writing for Bootleg Rascal and there were always songs that I wrote that sat on the fringe of that sound.
After a while I had a few songs and I didn’t want to let them to just sit there. I locked myself away for about six months in the basement of this share house I lived in and worked on about six tunes which I think really encapsulated the sound that is JUNIE, and here we are today about a year and a half later finally showing the world!
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? Every Christmas or New Year my family would get together for celebrations. We’re a big family but most of the fam still live in Chile. I remember so vividly that at one point late in the night, after the salsa music had been playing for a while, my family would stand up, move every table against the wall and everyone would get into the middle and dance.
As a kid I remember watching what music made them do, what it made them feel. If you listen to my song and it makes you smile or frown whatever it is, my mission is complete. All I have ever wanted to do is write music and make people feel and move.
07. Who have been your musical influences? The are so many, but in terms of JUNIE’s sound I would definitely say people like Timberland, Ludacris, Justin Timberlake, Andre 3000, Anderson .Paak, J.Cole… just to name a few…. The list goes on and on.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? Two that come to mind straight away are ‘Low Rider’ by WAR and ‘spottieottiedopaliscious’ by Outkast.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? In the car. I know a bunch of other musos that do this as well, but I love to finish a song jump in the car and go for a drive and have it on repeat. If it passes the car test then it’s a winner.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling :
Happy : Sonora Carruseles (you ain’t gonna understand a word they say, but listen to this music and try to be sad… I dare you).
Sad : Probably someone like Citizen Cope or Nirvana…. They are either going to pull me out of it or push me further down the rabbit whole.
Introspective : J.Cole is my introspective artist.
Exhausted : You know what, I listen to music sooooo much that those times that I’m tired and I’m chilling, I really like to appreciate silence and just not listen to anything. Some of my friends have no idea how I do this…
11. What was the first album you ever bought? The first album I remember listening to I actually stole from my dad’s car! It was this Cuban rap group called Orishas, freaking awesome. But I do remember going to Sanity and buying ‘Confessions’ by Usher. That got played a lot.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I am a first generation Australian, which means my mum came here from Chile when she was about 12. I was raised in a very South American household so sometimes I feel more Latino than Australian.
But I think both cultures are dope, both have their ups and downs and I love being able to resonate with both.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? When I was a kid I really wanted to be Indiana Jones…. Let’s go with that!
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? “Everyone has good songs, everyone has a hard drive full of beats, but what separates the people that are talented and make it, compared to the ones that don’t is hard work and patience”. That was me in the mirror. I have a lot of pep talks with myself.
15. What’s been the highlight of your musical journey so far? Starting again with JUNIE. In Bootleg Rascal, we are on a different path of the life cycle, but with JUNIE it honestly feels like starting all over again. It has been the most humbling and fun experience ever, especially doing everything off my own back.
16. What’s been the strangest experience you’ve had in the business? I don’t think JUNIE has been around long enough to have some weird experiences yet. I don’t think it will take long to get there haha.
17. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? I can honestly say I wouldn’t trade where I am with anyone. I can’t bring myself to even imagine any other path except for my own. Like J.Cole says, “It’s the beauty in the struggle, and the ugliness in the success”.
18. Tell us about your latest release. My latest single is called ‘Exercise’. This is a single that I have been sitting on for a long time and it’s always interesting seeing how much I have changed musically and emotionally since I wrote the song. But I’m really excited to show people this other side of me!!
19. What do your future plans involve? Releasing more music. Pretty much for the next 12 months my goal is to release four or five songs, so this is definitely not the last you are going to hear from me.
If anything, I think the next few songs I release are gonna be better and better with every release. This song and the next single are probably my oldest songs, so the stuff that I’ve been writing lately I think is next level, so can’t wait to get to release that!!!
20. Where can our audience catch you live? I have a single launch party on Valentine’s Day at The Lord Gladstone upstairs in Goodspace, and I’m really excited.
Apart from that there’s nothing locked in yet, but between Bootleg tours I am definitely trying to organise some shows so keep your eyes open.
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/JUNIEBOOK
INSTAGRAM : http://www.instagram.com/Juniegram._
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/user-756327216/i-can-exercise-you-1/s-goNDd
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM9xpxOcEUOxVcvoFWR0Nsg