After striding confidently into the music world with his first solo single ‘I Never Knew’, we decided to Get To Know River Boy.
The Melbourne artist has an eclectic and interesting background. And there’s even more to his current music story than just the River Boy project.
Find out more in our latest feature right here.
01. Name : River Boy.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne.
03. How did you get your start in music? I was born into a musical family but really started taking it seriously in high school.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Nostalgic, Positive, Thoughtful, Melancholy, Fantasy.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. My work in previous project Willow Beats was focused on a combination of lush nature recordings and synthetic bass and drums.
I feel like this approach bleeds into my River Boy work but I’m focused less on the intricacies of the production. I’m more focused on expressing my personality in a stripped back way.
The beats are humble and the vocals are simple but expressing myself in this way is a whole new challenge.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? I clearly remember watching my friends older brother play Donkey Kong Country when I was around four or five. The music got stuck in my head and I remember singing it back to my mum but with words.
07. Who have been your musical influences? There are so many. The Knife where a big influence when I first started producing. Early dubstep was a big one too. Producers like Benga, Burial, Mount Kimbie, Rusko, early James Blake etc.
08. What are your favorite songs of all time? God I can’t answer that but at the moment I really like these Swedish rappers Bladee and Busu. I love Tierra Whack too.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? I really like listening to music in the car. I find it gives me a different perspective on music. It’s probably the most relaxed way for me to consume music.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling : Happy? Sad? Introspective? Exhausted? I’m more the kind of person who gets obsessed with one track at a time and plays it on repeat no matter what mood I’m in. I also really like Lofi hip hop channels when I’m doing admin work.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? I think it was ‘Enema Of The State’ by Blink 182.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I can do pretty decent card magic. :)
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Hmmm something to do with looking after plants would be nice.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? I think it’s the classic “don’t let perfection get in the way of good” type thing. It’s so important.
15. What’s been the highlight of your musical journey so far? My previous group Willow Beats played at Clockenflap which is in Hong Kong. It just felt amazing being able to travel for work. Some friends happened to be over there as well so it was just a lovely experience exploring Hong Kong together.
16. What’s been the strangest experience you’ve had in the business? I was once singing a really tender intimate song in a venue and there was this super drunk guy screaaaaamming the lyrics back at me! It was so funny I couldn’t help but crack up the whole time.
17. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? Tierra Whack. Her art is just so creative and unique. I haven’t really heard anything else quite like it.
18. Tell us about your latest release. ‘I Never Knew’ is a fantasy in which my father (who passed away when I was six) had a great purpose for me. It’s a song about missing someone but letting them know you still feel their presence through the lessons and quest they’ve passed on. Sometimes that feeling is so strong you can hear them speaking back, telling you not to be afraid.
It’s a song about following your heart and passion, about perseverance and strength even when things seem impossible. It’s an affirmation to myself and to anyone else who might need it.
19. What do your future plans involve? Honestly I just want to keep releasing music. I’m not planning on playing live shows for a little while. I’m also working in video game music so between that and River Boy tracks, I’m a busy fella.
20. Where can our audience catch you live? I’m not currently playing live shows but I reckon the first few ones will be in Melbourne. :)
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/RiverBoyOfficial/
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/riverboyofficial/
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/RiverBoyBeats
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/riverboyofficial
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfw1yH-1Ha8TVcnJWxngmVA?