Take a trip to the outer reaches of the galaxy as we get to know SADBOii in our latest auspOp feature.
Though we may never get to know the man behind the astronaut helmet, the Sydney performer has just launched his super-fresh debut single ‘Nothing’ into orbit.
According to the man himself, “‘Nothing’ is about getting through some of the crappy things in the world together.”
And let’s face it, the world could always do with a bit more love and togetherness, right?
So join us as we get to know SADBOii.
01. Name : SADBOii.
02. Where are you based? Lolol, when not travelling the Milky Way? I’m based in Sydney.
03. How did you get your start in music? I started creating music from a pretty early age and eventually people began to listen and care. But I feel like I’m starting again now, it’s really nice. Keen to see what this journey is like.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Happy, sad, together, strong, vibrant.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I write happy songs about being sad but gettng through it together. It was such a natural thing for me. I’ve wanted to write what I naturally write for so long and for one reason or another that kept gettng put off for the sake of writing songs that other people wanted to hear from me.
I think the SADBOii sound was born out of the bursting of my heart’s desire to create something meaningful and authentic.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? Haha, when I was nine I won a singing competition at a caravan park singing ‘Shine’ by Vanessa Amorosi. It was my first time on stage and I’ve been addicted since.
07. Who have been your musical influences? For my sound, The 1975, Lauv, Troye Sivan and Gang Of Youths. In life, John Mayer, Ron Pope and The Beatles.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? Haha wow, deep end.
‘Hallelujah’ – Leonard Cohen, ‘Blackbird’ – The Beatles, ‘Show You’ – CXLOE, ‘Fireflies’ – Ron Pope, ‘Sleeptalker’ – XIRA, ‘Magnolia’ – Gang Of Youths, ‘Slow Dancing In A Burning Room’ – John Mayer (I left that till last ’cause choosing my favourite John Mayer song was beyond difficult).
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? Lying on the floor in my studio.
I remember listening to Gang Of Youths’ album ‘Go Farther In Lightness’ for the first time and just bawling my eyes out on the floor. It was the best. There’s something bout a great cry that gets you out of a funk.
Go watch ‘Inside Out’.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling :
Happy : I have a playlist called “Hekken Great Pop” on my Spotify profile and it has artists like Tove Styrke, Emily Burns, LOVA, bülow, Eliott, CXLOE, Kota Banks & XIRA.
Sad : Eliott.
Introspective : Gang Of Youths and The 1975.
Exhausted : John Mayer or Eliott (as you can see I hekken love Eliott).
11. What was the first album you ever bought? Vanessa Amorosi ‘The Power’. What a queen.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. Haha at this point no one knows anything about me so this is easy. Mmm okay. I’ve written and produced songs for a bunch of amazing Australian and international artists. Also I snore pretty loud.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Great question. I think something in mental health or law. Something I could still make a difference in.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? You’re really good. Appreciate and believe that and strive for more. No one will care more about your projects as much as you so stop relying so heavily on others and believe in your own ability.
That sounds super obvious. But I really needed to hear it at the time and it genuinely changed my life.
15. What’s been the highlight of your musical journey so far? The SADBOii journey has just begun so honestly it’s been seeing the incredible reaction from people so far. Seeing people really get something out of what I created is special.
16. What’s been the strangest experience you’ve had in the business? Hahaha going into a meeting with this Label/PR company that told me I should go and re record my vocals in a more Aussie accent so Triple J will play my song.
THIS IS WHY YOU DON’T LISTEN TO SILLY PEOPLE. LISTEN TO PEOPLE WHO LOVE AND CARE ABOUT YOU.
17. If you could trade places with any arKst in the world right now, who would it be? Man honestly no one, I’m so grateful to be where I’m at and even the artists I really look up to, their career paths and choices are not for me.
My life is so interwoven with my career (as I think anyone who’s taking music seriously is) and I love my life too much to want to change it for a little more success. I know if this works out for me, it will be on my terms.
18. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Nothing’ is a happy song about being sad but getting through it together. There’s so much bs going on in the world at the moment, it’s kind of awful. But I think if we have each other, we have the strength to get through it.
Togetherness is so important and in the first verse I also speak about me getting on top of my anxiety and depression so I can truly let people in.
I dunno, I reckon together, surrounded by people we love, we can push through the hate and make the world a better place.
19. What do your future plans involve? Currently building an epic live show complete with visuals from my voyages through the galaxy and my crazy amazing band. Aside from that, I’m planning on many, many more releases this year :)
20. Where can our audience catch you live? Torch Fest 2020 and heaps more coming soon.