Get to know Wilsonn, a fresh new artist straight out of Sydney’s Western suburbs who’s just released his debut single.
Wilsonn’s serving up oodles of soul on ‘Standing Floors’, which is as comfortable in the R&B sphere as it is in the pop sphere.
But to find out just how Wilsonn got to the point of releasing said debut, we of course had to dig a little deeper.
Enter our 20 pressing questions.
Here, Wilsonn hollers back with his 20 revealing answers.
01. Name : Wilsonn.
02. Where are you based? Western Sydney, Australia.
03. How did you get your start in music? From an early age at high school when I first started playing the drums and just got sucked into this weird, crazy and magical world of music!
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Raw, soulful, liberating, confessional, story-teller.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I have always loved the ’90s R&B/new jack era. Have so many records from that era and then I dabbled in a few other genres, like rock/soul and also electronic music.
So my sound is a combination of all of those musical journeys and influences through my life, but staying true to the heart beat and my first love which is the R&B and soul genre.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? My first musical memory is singing in a musical when I was like six or seven yrs old. The musical itself was a weird story as it veered around a fairy that came down to earth and punished all the naughty boys by making their hand get stuck in their pocket. So I remember singing a song about that with my hands in my pocket.
07. Who have been your musical influences? Frank Ocean, Miguel, Khalid, H.E.R, 6lack, Bobby Brown, Jodeci, Donny Hathaway, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson and my all time favourite singers would have to be Terence Trent D’arby & Luther Vandross.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? That’s a hard one, I have so many favourites. One that comes straight to mind would be ‘Switch’ by 6lack which I’m listening to a lot.
‘Someday We’ll All Be Free’ – Donny Hathaway, ‘Never Too Much’ – Luther Vandross, ‘Solo’ & ‘Forrest Gump’ – Frank Ocean and ‘Adorn’ – Miguel.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? The car and the studio.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling :
Happy? Bobby Brown, Miguel.
Sad? Frank Ocean.
Introspective? Rahat Fatek Ali Khan (Qwwali Pakistani singer).
11. What was the first album you ever bought? ‘Thriller’ – Michael Jackson.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I’m a table tennis enthusiast and dumpling connoisseur.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Probably would have been in sports! I was playing cricket for Sydney Metropolitan region and state until my discovery and love for music began!
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Never give up and to always believe in what you do and be persistent no matter what! Belief and persistence will get you to your goals. The only time you give up is when you quit.
15. What’s been the highlight of your musical journey so far? Getting signed to Universal Music Publishing world wide was one of them. Also penning songs that were three times Aria club No.1s and also being nominated for an ARIA.
16. What’s been the strangest experience you’ve had in the business? Too many to say, this industry is one strange, crazy and beautiful at the same time kind of vibe!
17. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? Me. I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be and that’s fulfilling enough for me.
18. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Standing Floors’ is about persistence and never giving up. ‘Standing Floors’ was written for the warriors of this world; the outcasts, the dreamers, the ones who take no for an answer, whether it be in struggles in personal life or professional life. The ones that are never afraid of failing to grow! This song is for them, the ones who never give up!! Something that I’m going through in my life currently, so this record couldn’t have come out at a better time where I need this reminder.
I also had the pleasure of writing this with one of my best friends Kristian Attard aka Sant Roc & The Intergalactix based in LA. Also adding their R&B textures and dope production to this new single is Grammy nominated duo Christian Rich, who have produced and co-written records for the likes of Childish Gambino, Drake, Earl Sweatshirt, Lizzo, Kanye, Pharrell, Snoh Alegra, Jaden Cyre Smith & more.
I had the pleasure of working them on this single at the Universal studio in Santa Monica which was a dope experience!
19. What do your future plans involve? Releasing more music, which includes the follow up single to ‘Standing Floors’ who I worked with MXXWLL and also the ‘Saturn Return’ EP, which will be coming out through my label Soul Modern/Universal. All of this and then a tour… take this creative piece out on the road to share with you all.
20. Where can our audience catch you live? At the moment on my Instagram live and IG TV. Once a tour is in the works and confirmed, the people will definitely know about it!
WEBSITE : http://wilsonn.com/
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/hisnameiswilsonn
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/hisnameiswilsonn/
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/hisnameiswilson
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/hisnameiswilsonn
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqABxrjGLQoNV1jYAhZhBBw