Today we get to know Alice Blake, a performer out of Melbourne who’s just dropped her debut single ‘Push Me’.
From the sounds of things, Alice has had quite the career already; performing in front of Justin Bieber, chatting to Katy Perry’s mum; even having Tori Kelly cover one of her songs on Instagram.
Intrigued? So are we! So dive into our latest feature below.
01. Name : Alice Blake.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne, Australia.
03. How did you get your start in music? I’ve been singing and performing since I was young and have been writing for other artists from the age of 17. As a writer, I was mentored by a legendary producer/songwriter, Jon Hume, and he played a big part in my journey of discovering myself as an artist.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Creative, edgy, real, empowering.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I describe it as ‘pop with an edge’. I’ve always loved pop and R&B and especially anything in those categories that’s a little different. I’m grateful that I’ve worked with some amazing producers that have helped shape my sound, the most recent being the incredible Rob Amoruso.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? Jamming to TLC in my bedroom with a plastic microphone at the age of seven!
07. Who have been your musical influences? Earlier in my life it was Lauryn Hill and TLC and basically anything hip hop/R&B. Now it’s a combination of Bea Miller, Anne-Marie, Billie Eilish, Julia Michaels and Labrinth.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘Jealous’ by Labrinth. Also, pretty much anything Nat Dunn or Julia Michaels writes.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? At home, with the volume up!
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling :
Happy : Annie-Marie.
Sad : H.E.R.
Introspective : Ruelle.
Exhausted : The ‘Chilled Jazz’ playlist on Spotify.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? ‘The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill’.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. Tori Kelly covered one of the songs I wrote in her ‘ISO’ IGTV posts. I lost my mind! It was such a crazy moment.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? A pro soccer player. If music didn’t work out, I was headed for the USA!
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Stay humble and take it slowly. The music industry is a slow burn, so be patient and build a solid foundation.
15. What’s been the highlight of your musical journey so far? Finally releasing my first single ‘Push Me’.
Singing on stage in Melbourne with Justin Bieber clapping on the front row (when he was in Melbourne in 2017). I almost passed out from fangirl nerves!
16. What’s been the strangest experience you’ve had in the business? Sitting next to Katy Perry’s mum at a wedding and having the best conversation about music – she’s a legend.
17. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? Beyonce or Madonna.
18. Tell us about your latest release. ‘Push Me’ is about overcoming my journey with anxiety and depression. I had some tough events go down that lead me into a challenging mental health season.
I wrote this song (with my close friends Rob Amoruso and Mitch Wong) to help dig myself out of that place of feeling low and encourage people that they can overcome the challenges that life throws at them.
19. What do your future plans involve? More music releases, some special live shows (when we can all go to shows again!), and a fashion label.
20. Where can our audience catch you live? Until we’re out of this social distancing season, you can find me live on my socials.
WEBSITE : https://www.aliceblakemusic.com/
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/aliceblakemusicofficial/
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/aliceblake.music/
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/ALICEBLAKEMUSIC