Get to know Kyden who a) knows how to sit on a chair and b) has just dropped his brand new single ‘Say You Want’.
It’s only Kyden’s third ever track and it’s an incredibly impressive listen; bang on trend and with a stunning vocal.
But there’s more to the Kyden story and we wanted to know a bit more about it. So we rolled out our 20 questions and he rolled his 20 answers straight back.
01. Name : Kyden.
02. Where are you based? Sydney.
03. How did you get your start in music? I was buying some gear from a friend of a friend. When he was showing me how it worked, I ended up showing him some voice memos of me singing. A little while later he messaged asking if I wanted to record a track properly, and we’ve been working together since.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Acoustic-based, alternative, pop, chill.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I grew up playing guitar, focusing on fingerstyle guitar. I always loved acoustic music, so I wanted to expand on that in most of my songs by starting with a guitar or piano layer then building from there into a more thick alternative sound.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? I remember being on a class camp in primary school and someone brought a guitar. I tried to play the right-handed guitar upside down and learnt some basic power chords. A few months later I started guitar lessons and I’ve been playing ever since.
07. Who have been your musical influences? A big influence growing up was Tommy Emmanuel. I learnt a few songs by Ziggy Alrberts a few years ago, and that was when I started to discover my voice. Other big influences are Lauv and Khalid.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘All The Same’ by Nick Wilson, ‘Saturday Nights’ by Khalid, ‘Runaway’ by Ziggy Alberts, ‘The Other’ by Lauv.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? In the car.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling :
Happy : Marc E. Bassy, Lauv.
Sad : Lauv, Chelsea Cutler.
Introspective : Ziggy Alberts.
Exhausted : all of the above.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? I think it was ‘Stadium Arcadian’ by The Red Hot Chili Peppers.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I love the ocean and being by the beach. Surfing is a bit of an escape for me, so I’ll go out and pretend I can surf any chance I get.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? I nearly went into personal training a few years ago, so it’d probably be something in that field.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Not to over-analyse. I’m a bit of a perfectionist which can definitely be a great thing, but sometimes it’s better to be able to take a step back and realise when something is already good.
15. What’s been the highlight of your musical journey so far? I’m still in the very early stages of my music journey, but I received a lot of positive feedback on my first single and it was really cool to have that kind of reaction to something I’ve made.
16. What’s been the strangest experience you’ve had in the business? Nothing comes to mind, but it’s early days so I’m sure there‘ll be something weird around the corner.
17. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? I think it would have to be Lauv or Ziggy Alberts. They’re very different stylistically, but they both have really passionate fans and are doing things to make a positive impact with their platforms, which I think is really cool and is something I aspire to do.
18. Tell us about your latest release. I wrote ‘Say You Want’ with Cameron Robertson last year, and from the day we wrote it it’s always felt like there’s something special about the song. It describes the process of wanting to be with that one person and hoping that they feel the same way. It’s one of my favourite songs and I’m excited to finally be able to share it.
19. What do your future plans involve? I’m looking forward to finishing my EP and starting live shows once things get a little less crazy.
20. Where can our audience catch you live? Bunnings.
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/itskyden
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/itskyden
TWITTER : https://www.twitter.com/thisiskyden
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/user-kyden
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvuyE9ASiwOzTW7F8Tf2Hjg