We get to know Lakelend, an artist out of Melbourne who comes to us armed with his debut solo single ‘Fall Down’.
As you’ll discover below, Lakelend is no stranger to the music business, having plied his trade in a band previously.
And further than evolving from band player to solo star, his style has also evolved from metal to pop.
Intrigued? So are we!
So come and explore the wonderful world of Lakelend with us.
01. Name : Lakelend.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne, Aus.
03. How did you get your start in music? I started playing guitar when I was super young so that has always been my go-to and saviour. Throughout high school I then played in a few different bands and once I finished, I started touring the country so it all evolved from there!
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Captivating, Emotional, Heartbreaking, Vulnerable, Likeable.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I think my sound and sonic inspiration comes from a lot of different genres of music. I grew up playing metal and hardcore music so I naturally gravitate towards more emotional soundscapes and sadder lyrical content. Sonically I think it mixes electronic dance music with melancholic sounding synths, guitars and vocals.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? I remember getting up super early on Saturday mornings as a kid to watch an AC/DC DVD that I was given on repeat – I just wanted to be like Angus!
07. Who have been your musical influences? Again so many cross genre influences but Angus Young from AC/DC was always my idol growing up. I then moved into watching more ‘guitar heroes’ like Eric Clapton, Joe Walsh, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani before idolising metal bands as an early teenager.
I still love all of that music but have definitely found my home in the pop world. I now am influenced quite heavily by artists like Lauv, LANY, The 1975 and The Chainsmokers.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? Such a tricky question for any musician to answer but If I had to pick a couple I would say :
The Neighbourhood – ‘Sweater Weather’.
The 1975 – ‘Somebody Else’.
LANY – ‘Thick And Thin’.
Maroon 5 – ‘She Will Be Loved’.
AC/DC – ‘It’s A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock ’N’ Roll)’.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? In transit. Planes, trains and automobiles!
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling :
Happy : Hayden James, SG Lewis, ODESZA.
Sad : NF, Juice WRLD, Trippie Redd, XXXTENTACION.
Introspective : Lauv, LANY, The Neighbourhood, The 1975, The Chainsmokers, Jeremy Zucker, Chelsea Cutler, EDEN.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? Maroon 5 – ‘Songs About Jane’.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. Secretly a crossfit junkie that can also juggle a soccer ball pretty well.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Professional soccer player.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Be nice to everyone.
15. What’s been the highlight of your musical journey so far? In my musical career thus far I’d say playing to thousands of people every night supporting Sleeping With Sirens in my old band Storm The Sky. The crowds were so so loud and being on those stages was a rush. The SWS guys were also super fun, kind and welcoming.
As far as Lakelend goes, I have just released the first song ‘Fall Down’ and in a matter of days it was added to a few Spotify editorial playlists which is so so cool for a completely new artist – stoked!
16. What’s been the strangest experience you’ve had in the business? I’ve definitely met a few characters along the way since I started playing shows and touring in 2010, but there is one experience that stands out above the rest.
My old band was on tour and we had just played the show at The Triffid in Brisbane. We’d packed the van and trailer and we’d set off on our overnight drive to Sydney for the show the next day.
We stopped to get fuel at a town called Woodburn (just under an hour south of Byron Bay) at around 3AM. A few of the band were asleep in the van and I got out to fill it up. Soon after, two Woodburn locals approached us and were hustling us and started to get super aggressive (most likely under the influence).
We quickly managed to get most of the lads back in the van after escaping these nutters and then drove down the road to get the other boys that were at the 24 hour take away shop. We then realised these guys were still following us and as we met the other boys they started running at the van with a hell of a lot of aggression carrying some sort of steel poles but in the knick of time we able to literally pile the last couple of boys into the van, take off with the door open and escape this touchy situation!
It was definitely too much for a bunch of delirious band boys to handle at 3AM post-show and mid overnight drive – smh!
17. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? I don’t think I’d want to trade places with any artist! As crazy as it would be I would rather run my own race and experience everything as a result of my own hard work.
18. Tell us about your latest release. The first instrumental demos for this track were written on my laptop in a Vietnam airport in December 2018. Everything I tried to write before this just didn’t feel right, but this is the first thing that did.
‘Fall Down’ is my first ever release as Lakelend and I couldn’t be happier with it. The song explores first love and immediate heartbreak and was written for those that really need it – including myself. Turning pain into something upbeat, I wanted to create a sound that people can listen to, drive to and dance to.
19. What do your future plans involve? Short-term I plan to release a couple of singles independently and start touring my live show that I’ve been preparing for the last year or so. After that, complete the Lakelend team and jump into and release a body of work (EP or an album).
20. Where can our audience catch you live? Once live shows are happening again I dare say I’ll be out on the road pretty quickly. Absolutely itching to play my songs in front of people!
WEBSITE : http://lakelend.com.au
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/lakelend
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/lakelend_
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/lakelend
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/user-79709522-603630051
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGrZ6uOK29Zz2FXhBvtnKyA