Get to know MINIQ, a cheeky four piece from the NSW Central Coast who’ve recently dropped their debut single ‘Little Miss No.1’.
Though the track’s perhaps a bit grittier than what you might ordinarily discover on auspOp, it’s bubbling with pop sensibilities and a real commercial hook.
Given it’s the band’s first ever single, we decided to dive into their history with some probing questions.
Here’s what they had to say.
01. Band name : MINIQ.
02. Where are you based? Central Coast.
03. Who are your members? Dominique and Isabelle Morgan, Eli Milojkovic, Jacob Borg.
04. And what role do they play in the band? Dominique (lead vocals, electric guitar, writer), Isabelle (backing vocals, electric guitar, tambourine, writer), Eli Milojkovic (bass player), Jacob Borg (drummer).
05. How did you choose your band name? Belle came up with it. Originally, I played solo and Dominique always seemed too long and there’s plenty of Doms out there. She put her hands over the two letters at the start and end of my name covering them and said, “What about miniq?” And that’s the story.
06. Give us five words to best describe the band. Composed, goofy, balanced, shit talkers.
07. How was the band formed? I asked Belle if she’d join the band. She said yes. Originally, the boys were just session musos on our track but after a few rehearsals and a couple of live gigs we realized they’re a funny, talented pair and we decided we wanted to keep them!
08. Tell us a little bit about your sound. There’s a whole lot of influences but the end goal is smooth vocals, and fun guitar riffs with a solid bass line and drumbeat.
09. If you had to compare yourselves to an already established act sound-wise, who would it be? We’re definitely inspired by Queens Of The Stone Age, Nick Cave and Lana Del Ray.
10. In what ways has the band changed from when it was formed to today? Not much. It’s still rather fresh but we’re realizing how fun it is to rehearse and perform together. The boys are certainly opening up more. What with their weird and racist jokes. Gives us all a good laugh and makes it more fun and enjoyable to rehearse when there’s a good giggle in between every song we run through!
11. What are your members’ favorite songs of all time? Dom : ‘Father Daughter’ – Paul Simon, ‘Arabella’ – Arctic Monkeys, ‘You Send Me’ – Aretha Franklin. Belle : ‘Lower The Heavens’ – The Donkeys.
12. Which song from history do you all wish you’d written? Dom : ‘Arabella’ (Arctic Monkeys) or ‘Thriller’ (MJ). Belle : ‘Fools Fold Their Hands’ – Meatbodies.
13. What’s been the biggest highlight of your band’s journey so far? Like I said before, it’s early days. At this stage, just rehearsing and performing together is good fun. The band has come together pretty organically which is a cool feeling.
14. What’s been your strangest experience as a band? When we’re allowed to tour, I’m sure the strange experiences will come about no doubt.
15. Who’s your most passionate groupie? There’s a couple. The rents, the in laws but one of the ones that stand out the most would have to be darling Wendy Walker.
16. Are you hotel trashers, cup of tea drinkers or somewhere in between? Definitely not a trasher. Maybe an accidental breaker of things when lit.
17. If you could score the support slot for any act, who would you choose? Red Hot Chili Peppers or Arctic Monkeys.
18. Tell us about your latest release. It’s our first release. We’re stoked. Been a long time coming and it’s finally out there.
19. What do your plans for global superstardom involve? Just keep playing and busting out tunes till we get seen by the right people.
20. Where can our audience catch you live? Hopefully at a number of venues once the restrictions are fully lifted and we can go on tour!
WEBSITE : https://www.miniqmusic.com
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/miniqmusic
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/miniqmusic
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/miniqmusic