Get to know Will Hyde, who’s just dropped his debut solo single ‘easy for u’. But it’s not the first time Will’s been on the pages of auspOp.
Oh no… the Melbourne native’s previous appearance, you’ll soon discover, was as one half of a band.
But pop band past isn’t all there is to know about Will.
So scratch the surface and get to know Will Hyde.
01. Name : Yo Will Hyde!
02. Where are you based? I am currently in Melbourne, Australia!!
03. How did you get your start in music? I got started by making music on my computer (producing). That was when I was 14 or so. I would miss parties and just make music all the time on weekends, because that was free time I had outside of school work!
Originally I was a part of a group called SŸDE; I actually think we did an interview with u guys! That gave me a lot of experience working with people, playing live shows, facing into anxiety that I faced from it all. I learned a lot from that and became a stronger person because of it.
I decided to start working on a solo project last year and now this is where I am today. :)
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Honest, vulnerable, fragile, hooks, vocals, guitar. Oops I cheated and did six. Never mind. ;)
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I spent a lot of time in the studio working on a bunch of songs. That’s how I really found my sound. It’s funny, the songs I’m releasing today were songs I wasn’t sure about – purely because I had nothing to base myself on at that point.
Just doing a lot of time working on music gave me the time to find my feet and realise the artist I wanted to be. I would say I have found myself on the fact that I write music that has a story/honesty about it yet it still centres around a hook. I like thinking about what makes a song memorable and so I have carried that into my music.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? My earliest musical memory is learning to produce music at this random guy’s house. He was always on smoke breaks and so I just sort of would play around by myself, haha.
That’s really how I learned to make music, trial and error bb. But yeah, I definitely spent a lot of time at random peoples’ places trying to soak up as much as I could to become a better producer.
07. Who have been your musical influences? I listened to a lot of Jeremy Zucker when my life was in a bad way and I wanted a real artist to connect with. I would say in the last year, Angele, Gracie Abrams is a boss, JP Saxe, Dominic Fike, Rex Orange County.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? I have always grown up on singles. O had an iPod Nano and I would just listen to Britney Spears and Black Eyed Peas when I was like 10. So i think with that in mind my favourite songs are always changing.
I think that Jeremy Zucker’s ‘End’ is timeless. The Beatles’ ‘Yesterday’ is so beautiful. Chelsea Cutler’s ‘I Was In Heaven’ is one the best written songs of 2020. Who else, umm. Major Myjah’s ‘Trouble’ is earth shatteringly relatable for me. Lord Huron’s ‘The Night We Met’ is such a well written song.
So many talented humans doing talented things, I feel inspired just opening up my music library honestly.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? I have two places where I listen to songs; In my bathroom with the lights out or on my bed with dimmed lights, a candle and noise cancelling headphones on. And a great incense candle!!
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling : Happy? James Brown ‘I Got You (I Feel Good)’, Surfaces are sick peeps. I like ‘Horizons’. You can play that any time sitting in the car.
Sad : Sasha Sloan, Jeremy Zucker makes my world feel like it’s coming to an end.
Introspective : JP Saxe, Lord Huron.
Exhausted : Gracie Abrams, Lily Allen.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? Man. I think it would be a Black Eyed Peas album, honestly. That’s a great question tho. I might have to look thru my iTunes library from ’08 to get a truthful answer. but I remember listening to ‘Shut Up’ and thinking I was a complete badass.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I love to meditate every morning/night to centre myself emotionally. It has been so important in stabilising my emotions, especially when I’m in the studio every day. Sometimes I just need to sit with myself, by myself.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Definitely a psychologist. I love analysing why I feel the way I do. If I’m happy, why am I happy? If I’m scared, why am I scared??
I think we have all the answers within ourselves. So I would love to help other people if I could in that way as well. Definitely psychology.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? To be kind and ask questions of everyone you meet. You never know what someone has been thru and what you could learn from them.
Also to treat everyone equally. Artists aren’t any more important than the mixing engineer that makes us sound good. We’re all humans and we all deserve to be noticed. Shout out to the cleaners that clean up our festivals once we are done with them. Everyone is important. Major key.
15. What’s been the highlight of your musical journey so far? Honestly, the personal changes it has brought in my life. I had to face a lot of my anxiety/depression head on because I really wanted to make music work.
I learned that I need to love myself a lot, be a better friend to myself, accept myself so that I can accept others. to not put pressure on things. Those are valuable for everything. Also, I have learned to trust myself, above everything else.
We have the power to do amazing things, deep inside of us. We just have to believe we can do those amazing things, then the limits we place on ourselves get broken thru. I think with that in mind I’ve just realised that things that were once so scary to me aren’t scary after all, once you do them.
16. What’s been the strangest experience you’ve had in the business? I’ve had a lot situations where I was like, how did I end up here. Like, what is happening right now, haha. Just weird situations that you end up in because music is an interesting industry.
Um – playing my first show to 25,000 people was gnarly. That was just one of those strange, out of body experiences. That’s the first thing that came to mind as probably my fondest memory from my career in the last few years.
I’ve also been able to work with some very talented people that I have looked up to. That has been a very cool experience I’ve been fortunate to have.
17. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? Honestly I wouldn’t want to trade places with anyone because I am enjoying the journey I am on and I like the music I make. It feels good to be able to say that.
With that said, if I could stand by someone and watch them do their thing – it would be Dominic Fike! I think that he is just in a really interesting place where he has done great things in a short amount of time. So I’d like to see where his head is at for the future. Would be a blessin’.
I’d also like to see the people he has around him, because that’s super important in being successful. yup.
18. Tell us about your latest release. My debut song is called ‘easy for u.’. It just came out! It’s about giving more in a relationship than you’re getting back. Reaching that point of awareness where you can finally see where you stand with someone.
It doesn’t mean you have to change things, but that awareness has been powerful in my life. It’s hard to be a part of a relationship where you are watching someone fade or become something they’re not.
19. What do your future plans involve? I have so much music coming out this year, which I’m excited for. I have a fuller project coming out in October, so I’m very excited for that. Then I’m planning to tour later this year, which would be such an honour. Excited for the future.
20. Where can our audience catch you live? I would love to see them at a show. I don’t have anything announced yet, so check my socials for updates on that in the future! Thank you for having me guys!!
WEBSITE : shor.by/willhyde
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/iamwillhyde
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/iamwillhyde
TWITTER : https://www.twitter.com/iamwillhyde
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/iamwillhyde
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYdnf484Ey1ql1ls4WfHT7Q