We get to know Corey Holland, a fresh new artist from Perth who loves his boybands and is now living out his own popstar dreams.
Just how he got to the point of releasing his debut single ‘Mean That’, however… well that’s what this little feature is all about.
Track Corey’s journey from the beginning through to today’s release of his debut single.
01. Name : Corey Holland.
02. Where are you based? I’m from Perth, Western Australia.
03. How did you get your start in music? I was singing as a hobby from a young age but my proper start came when my cousin and fellow artist, Rosel, asked me to join a studio session a while back and I thought I’d get on the mic and give this a go. After the session, I had my first feature on an original song called ‘Nightfall’.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Honest, sensual, eye-catching, confident and dedicated.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I’ve always loved emotional chords and naturally started out singing about heartbreak and love. Over time my sound developed to a combination of pop, trap and R&B, while focusing on deeper lyrics and mature lyrics.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? Singing in my room to ’90s boy bands!
07. Who have been your musical influences? Growing up I was listening to artists like Craig David, Justin Timberlake and more recently Justin Bieber. I’ve looked up to them and loved their swagger, not only as artists but with their lifestyles too!
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? Tough question! I’ve got so many songs on this list, but I’m still listening to Justin Bieber’s ‘Believe’ album.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? Something I’ll never take for granted is just driving in my car and listening to music! I love being alone with just the music; it’s a feeling I can’t explain.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling : Happy? Sad? Introspective? Exhausted? Drake is definitely my go-to when I’m feeling a type of way. I feel l can relate to a lot of his music, especially with the variety of tracks he has. Drake is definitely one of the GOATs.
But I also tend to go back to familiar music and throwbacks.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? Pretty sure it would’ve been a Backstreet Boys album or NSYNC!
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I’m a sports freak! My close friends will tell you this too, I can play basically any sport. It’s definitely given me the competitive mindset.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? I think I would have taken a crack at sports, more specifically cricket or footy. I’m not entirely sure an office job is for me.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? To always believe in yourself, never give up and never settle; always strive for progress.
15. What’s been the highlight of your musical journey so far? I got contacted by house music producers over in Europe and did a couple of collaborations with them. It was great exposure outside my sound and the humble brag was that these tunes are getting released by Sony Music!
16. What’s been the strangest experience you’ve had in the business? I feel like I’m still new to the industry so I can’t give a definitive answer. I’m sure there will be some crazy experiences in the future.
17. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? I would not do that because I love the journey too much. Being able to experience starting from the bottom and the progression is one of the exciting things about being an artist.
18. Tell us about your debut release. ‘Mean That’ is my first piece of original work that I’ve banked for a while and I’m really happy to put this out. I wrote the song while I was going through some relationship struggles.
People say things and don’t mean it and when you leave the relationship they go back to saying things they don’t mean to get you back. It’s like a never ending cycle and I wanted to portray it. The track overall has a very R&B and pop vibe, which mesh well together.
But it would be great to hear from everyone what they thought about the track; my DMs are open!
19. What do your future plans involve? I’ve always wanted to travel the world and I want to be able to do that with music and performing around the world. Till then, I’m going to be taking a step at time and focusing on what’s in front of me.
20. Where can our audience catch you live? I recently did my first performance on a livestream festival called Homechella during the COVID lockdowns, but I will definitely be performing live in a few months.
Until then my focus is to release more music and work on some collaborations. Be sure to follow me on my socials to keep up to date with my latest stuff!