Get to know Cry Baby! She’s a Queensland native who’s just dropped her debut self-titled single and has plenty more up her sleeve.
But don’t just take our word for it.
Check out what Cry Baby’s got to say for herself right here in our latest feature!
01. Name : I am Cry Baby!
02. Where are you based? I’m based on the Sunshine Coast.
03. How did you get your start in music? I was always surrounded by music growing up and it was just something I always knew I wanted to do! Cutting my teeth busking for many years in Fortitude Valley was a huge step towards fine tuning my sound and working with my brother and producer, Judah, has really helped this musical journey come to life!
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Honest, emotional, passionate, a little weird!
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I’ve always listened to a lot of old jazz like Etta James and Louis Armstrong, but also always love my pop queens like Lily Allen, Regina Spektor and Amy Winehouse. I wanted to take those elements and have my brother put his hip-hop spin on it, which created the sound Cry Baby has now!
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? Well, it was always hard to get my big family in one spot, and being the youngest I loved it when we all were together. In our old house in Redland Bay we’d always have these huge storms in summer that would knock out the power. And every time, mum would light candles and dad would sit on his beanbag singing and playing guitar, opening my little mind to artists like Zeppelin and AC/DC. I knew I wanted to bring people together with music one day too.
07. Who have been your musical influences? So many! A huge one is my brother, he’s ALWAYS been my musical and personal inspiration. I’ve taken huge inspiration from artists like Death Cab For Cutie, Cat Stevens, The Beatles, Carole King, Bright Eyes, Nina Simone, Ella Fitzgerald. Artists who write beautiful lyrics.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? Oh that’s a big question haha! Of all time? ‘Back To Black’ by Amy Winehouse, ‘First Day Of My Life’ by Bright Eyes, ‘Here Comes The Sun’ by The Beatles, ‘At Last’ by Etta James, ‘I Can’t Help Falling In Love With You’ by Elvis, and ‘I’ll Follow You Into The Dark’ by DCFC.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music?
In my room, on the floor, flipping from A side to B side through my vinyls.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling:
Happy? Etta James.
Sad? Amy Winehouse.
Introspective? Mantr, PEZ, 360, Thundamentals.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? Kelly Clarkson’s ‘Breakaway’.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I have probably tattooed myself more than I’ve paid for professional tattoos!
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? There was never a backup… if I couldn’t do music, maybe just a professional cuddler!
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? That there’d be at least ten years of trying and trying to break into ANYTHING you’re passionate about. Once you reach ten years, if you’re still motivated to make it happen, you will.
15. What’s been the highlight of your musical journey so far? Getting to collaborate with so many incredible artists this past year and getting to create with my big brother. I’m very lucky.
16. What’s been the strangest experience you’ve had in the business? Some of the things people would put in my guitar case when I was busking and they couldn’t give money… everything from rubbish, to prescription pills, or just bits of crumbled paper with very questionable peoples’ phone numbers!
17. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? Hmm, I don’t know if that’s something I would do. I’ve worked so hard and so long on my own projects it’s hard to imagine wanting to be someone else! Maybe someone like Watsky because I wish I could rap that fast.
18. Tell us about your debut release. This first song introduces who I am. Once upon a time, being called a ‘cry baby’ used to break me. It made me feel weak, but now I’ve turned it into my superpower.
Everyone’s been through heartbreak and ridden those waves of emotion. I hope you can listen to my songs on the kitchen floor with a glass of wine, or they get you up dancing with your friends, or better still, do both.
19. What do your future plans involve? Releasing more from my ‘Cry Baby’ EP over the coming months, collaborating with artists to bring Cry Baby to life and working on some exciting content. Basically everything we can do to make up for not being able to play live shows in these tricky times.
20. Where can our audience catch you live? No live shows just yet. But you can now stream my debut single on Triple J Unearthed, SoundCloud, and all major streaming services!
TRIPLE J UNEARTHED : https://www.triplejunearthed.com/artist/8964436/reviews
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/crybabysinger/
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/crybabysinger/
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/crybabysinger