Get to know new Melbourne artist BUFFY, who’s just gifted us with her very first single ‘Cruel’.
We can assure you that there are no vampires involved with this BUFFY, though the debut single most definitely slays. It’s all about something so wrong being oh so right.
“I’m so excited to have it out of my weird brain and into the cosmos,” she says.
But what else does BUFFY have to say for herself? Which musicians does she count among her favourites? And just how did she end up here, with her debut single in tow?
Find out in our latest Get To Know feature right here.
01. Name : BUFFY.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne/Naarm.
03. How did you get your start in music? At school I always felt like a bit of a loner or didn’t fit in, so to have something to do at lunch time I started choir. Looking back I think it was a kind of social anxiety and singing helped me find me.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Slicker than your average bear.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I like to look at the world and find secret pockets where we are all playing out curious moments in time. A kind of dreamy playful desire intertwining beautiful and dark undertones. I love pop but I’m trying to be its darker, more seductive sister.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? My entire life my parents had music on in the car and at home. It’s just in my DNA.
07. Who have been your musical influences? I find influences from all genres of music, covering classical to pop to hair metal. hehehe. Solange, Grimes, Massive Attack, Prince, Lady Gaga, Robyn, Portishead, Daft Punk, Sade.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time?‘Higher Love’ – Whitney Houston, ‘Controversy’ – Prince, ‘Pyramids’ – Frank Ocean, ‘Fembot’ – Robyn, ‘Welcome To Heartbreak’ – Kanye West.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? In my headphones working out. Or you can find me busting moves to my faves in the car.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling : Happy? Sad? Introspective? Exhausted? This is tricky. I find I can listen to the same tracks and relate to it differently emotionally. I find this magic. The songs can lift me to another place.
I really hope to do the same with songwriting and particularly ‘Cruel’. It’s a song you can dance to or lay on the couch and get deep to.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? I played ‘Jagged Little Pill’ by Alanis Morissette over and over and over. This album inspired me so much. Iconic.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I’ve always loved singing and writing so much, in early high school I would ask to write a song or perform for class assessments rather than write essays. Surprisingly, most teachers were pretty cool about it.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? I’d be an actor or a platypus.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Be unapologetically you in person and as an artist. Be kind. Write, write write. When you feel like it’s too hard, just don’t stop.
15. What’s been the highlight of your musical journey so far? Finding my voice as a singer-songwriter. This has given me an immense sense of belief in myself as an artist.
16. What’s been the strangest experience you’ve had in the business? This may not be the strangest, but it’s definitely some insight into the biz.
Throughout the creative process and the business you need to chill and have patience. Trust the process, some things just take time.
17. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? I wouldn’t want to trade places with anyone to be honest. But, I really admire the Rodarte sisters Laura and Kate Mulleavy. They’re fashion designers, film directors, script writers and creative powerhouses. Very inspiring women.
18. Tell us about your debut release. ‘Cruel’ is ultimately about desire and being drawn to things that may or may not be the best for you. I think sometimes (particularly women) are told what we should or shouldn’t want or what we should or shouldn’t be.
When I came up with the video clip for ‘Cruel’, the idea of a girl walking alone without fear in a dystopian world linked closely with this. I really wanted a portrayal of strength, being ferocious and challenging the status quo of gender roles. A female protagonist in a western subverting the typical male stereotypes. The outsider, seperate from society, yet sure of myself, the nomad who receives respect and finds love in others and others worlds.
An intergalactic drag race seemed like a cool representation of the ideas behind ‘Cruel’ too – doing something that has an element of danger, but is seriously ‘effing fun. I love this song and the clip so much!
19. What do your future plans involve? I’ve got more killer tracks and video clips coming out soon! I’m so excited to share, keep an eye on my socials for more info.
20. Where can our audience catch you live? I cannot wait to perform live. It won’t be long and it’ll be worth the wait.
WEBSITE : www.buffymakesmusic.com
INSTAGRAM : http://instagram.com/buffymusic
FACEBOOK : http://facebook.com/onlybuffyleft
TIKTOK : http://tiktok.com/buffymusic
TWITTER : http://twitter.com/onlybuffyleft
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ2ZnJIUxoKCzxxtQmS9pyw