We get to know Charley, a fresh new pop artist out of Sydney who’s signed to EMI and has dropped her debut single ‘Hard For Me’.
It’s a super impressive, super-slinky piece of home-grown pop and we reckon you’re going to love it.
But what of the girl behind ‘Hard For Me’? How did she get here? And what’s the song about?
Discover all below in our latest feature!
01. Name : Charley!
02. Where are you based? Sydney.
03. How did you get your start in music? I’ve always loved singing and creating music, ever since I was a little girl. I moved to Sydney when I was 19 and have been doing writing sessions here, Melbourne, LA and Nashville and have been working on my project for around four years now! It feels so good to finally be releasing my own music.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Loud/ H0rny/ Honest/ Emo/ Dreamy.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I’ve always loved pop music, especially Kelly Clarkson, Jessie J and Katy Perry from a young age… But when I first heard Julia Michaels, my whole world stopped and I understood how I wanted to write and emote. It really changed my whole view on my music.
I used to think, what would Julia do? And then I got to a point where I stopped doing that and started pushing my boundaries and experimenting!
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? I have the WORST memory. Luckily my mum filmed EVERYTHING. But I do remember singing ‘I’m A Little Teapot’ at my dance concert when I was very little!
07. Who have been your musical influences? Julia Michaels!! Katy Perry, Charlie Puth, Lauv, Dua Lipa, Anne Marie and more!
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘There’s No Way’ – Julia Michaels & Lauv, ‘My My My’ – Troye Sivan, ‘Teenage Dream’ – Katy Perry, ’80s Mercedes’ – Maren Morris, ‘Still Into You’ – Paramore, ‘Pink’ – Julia Michaels.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? In my car!!
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling : Happy? Sad? Introspective? Exhausted? Julia!!!
11. What was the first album you ever bought? ‘Follow Your Heart’ – Nikki Webster!
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. My elbows are double jointed and can do some WEIRD angles.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Probably would be a makeup artist! Or an interior designer!
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Just keep going.
15. What’s been the highlight of your musical journey so far? Signing a record deal with EMI! And releasing ‘Hard For Me’. I’ve loved it for a long time, so to see it getting such an amazing response already makes me very happy.
16. What’s been the strangest experience you’ve had in the business? I’ve had many! But here’s one… I had a session in LA once and the producer didn’t greet me when I walked in and was rude to me the entire time. He then had all of his friends come around and they started smoking and drinking in our writing session… I left.
17. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? Halsey!!! She’s so amazing and is just doing everything under the sun. Although she’s just announced her pregnancy… I’m not quite ready for that just yet!
18. Tell us about your debut release. ‘Hard For Me’ was written three years ago when I was at the start of a relationship and I was utterly obsessed with this guy. I couldn’t imagine anything but getting butterflies and imagining him with his clothes off wherever he was.. The honeymoon phase you know?
So we wrote it into a song and made a music video! We released it this week and the response has just been crazy. I’m in shock.
19. What do your future plans involve? Lots of music writing, touring and moving to America! Working on my mental and physical health as well.
20. Where can our audience catch you live? I will let you know soon ;)