We get to know Montana Kennedy, a fresh new artist out of Queensland who recently dropped her debut single ‘eggshells’.
Thankfully we didn’t need to walk on eggshells with our 20 probing questions, which Montana graciously answered in full.
So join us as we discover Queensland’s own Montana Kennedy!
01. Name : Montana Kennedy.
02. Where are you based? I am based in Toowoomba.
03. How did you get your start in music? I always sang but learning guitar in year eight changed my outlook on music. This made it possible to start writing my own tunes and I fell in love with music in a completely different way from then on.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Raw, emotional, upbeat, creative and vibrant.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I always listened to country music growing up and then I really fell in love with Taylor Swift and, later on, Miley Cyrus.
In a similar fashion I guess my sound has developed from country music and telling stories with my guitar to pairing that with pop production and upbeat energy and I feel really good in that space.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? I have this strange memory of when my family and I lived out west. We went on this nature walk and I can remember listening to Dixie Chicks. Super weird because I don’t know how we were listening to it. Or why but that’s the first memory I have.
07. Who have been your musical influences? Taylor Swift, Keith Urban, Miley Cyrus and more recently Lennon Stella and Julia Michaels. I love them all. To bits.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘Somebody Like You’ by Keith Urban, ‘Safe And Sound’ by Taylor Swift.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? In the car. Well my mum’s car haha.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling…
Happy : Mylie Cyrus. She really powers me up.
Sad : Lewis Capaldi. He can really tell a story and pull on some feels.
Introspective : Novo Amor. He really takes me to a place.
Exhausted : Taylor Swift. More particular her latest albums Folklore and Evermore.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? Shania Twain – ‘Up!’
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I am studying law. And I love riding horses.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Shock horror, but I would like to be a lawyer.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Choosing music as a career should always be focused on love as the driver for success, never about numbers. If your music is loved and you love making it, you will always be fulfilled.
15. What’s been the highlight of your musical journey so far? MY DEBUT. Releasing my first track has been truly amazing. I actually had to pinch myself that it is finally happening and it’s been such the best highlight.
16. What’s been the strangest experience you’ve had in the business? I haven’t had any strange experiences so far. I have had so much fun collaborating, writing and performing music that it just all seems to have gone so quickly to be honest.
17. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? Lennon Stella, because she lives in Nashville in this farmhouse with goats and that is just life.
18. Tell us about your debut release. This is my very first time putting myself out there in such a huge way and being vulnerable to everyone feels really empowering. ‘eggshells’ is a song about something lots of people go through and I am really excited and kind of nervous to put everything out there and share my music with everyone.
19. What do your future plans involve? Releasing more music, performing heaps, writing heaps of songs, keep enjoying the opportunity I have and hopefully make some new fans along the way who connect with my tunes.
20. Where can our audience catch you live? We have some big plans and lots of announcements going forward in 2021… you’ll just have to stay tuned.
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/montanakennedy
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/montanakennedyy
TIKTOK : https://www.tiktok.com/montanakennedy
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/MontanaKennedy9
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/tannnie