Get to know Shirin Kalyani, a new Sydney-based singer songwriter who dropped her debut single ‘Naissance’ just yesterday!
You kinda get the feeling that Shirin is a young woman going places, particularly after revealing her earliest musical memory (below).
And if ‘Naissance’ is anything to go by, we suspect she’s going to have a bright, shiny future.
Get to know her with us, won’t you?
01. Name : Shirin Kalyani.
02. Where are you based? Sydney :)
03. How did you get your start in music? Through piano lessons I had when I was six. I actually quit in the coming years – but then almost instantly started teaching myself songs I loved and writing my own tunes. From there I kept writing and started adding more layers, first on Garageband and then Ableton in high school.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Dreamy, mysterious, melancholic, nostalgic, philosophical.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I grew up listening to a mix of late ’90s /early 2000s alt rock, late ’70s disco, ’90s house and electronica.
However, since I was only writing songs on the piano when I started out, I focused on melody and lyrics, hugely influenced by Lana Del Rey.
I then started developing my songs on Garageband to make them more interesting and eventually moved to Ableton upon a recommendation from a music teacher. This allowed me to explore an electronic side to my sound which is how I eventually reached the blend of dream pop / alt rock.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? Probably playing piano when I was around six and deciding to write a song that I thought would be suitable for a film.
07. Who have been your musical influences? Lana Del Rey, Morcheeba, Massive Attack, R.E.M, Flume, Primal Scream.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘Ride’ by Lana Del Rey, ‘The Sea’ by Morcheeba, ‘Always’ by Bent (Ashley Beedle’s Mahavishnu Remix).
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? By the sea, while driving, or in an empty park that has a swing.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling :
Sad? Lana Del Rey.
Introspective? Beach House.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? One of the Triple J Hottest 100 albums in the mid 2000s.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. My artist name Shirin Kalyani is actually my first and middle name. “Shirin” means “sweet and charming”, and “Kalyani” means “lovely and auspicious”.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? This is niche – but my dream would be to work in tech policy / regulation.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? To be confident in my art and in myself! To expect rejection and know my art isn’t for everyone. Simple but extremely powerful.
15. What’s been the highlight of your musical journey so far? Probably a gig I did a while back where the crowd started singing along. It was such an amazing feeling!
16. What’s been the strangest experience you’ve had in the business? I’m actually quite new to the industry, but probably a few gigs I’ve attended where I’ve ended up in conversation with people I would never have expected to meet!
17. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? Hard to say – but probably Beach House or another similar band. Their music is so appreciated and popular and all the attention is on the music itself. I think that would be a really nice space as an artist – to be slightly removed from the public eye, but still have your music popular enough to focus all the energy on that!
18. Tell us about your debut release. I wrote ‘Naissance’ last year during a really difficult time. It’s about an experience I had that taught me about the intertwining of life and death, and the great unknown.
I would also say it’s an ode to my adolescence more generally. Although I wrote and produced it in a dark time, I ultimately view it as a positive song, like I was on the verge of a new beginning.
19. What do your future plans involve? Definitely gigs, gigs and more gigs. I feel like performing is where it’s at! I also have an EP done and dusted which I’m keen to get out there as well!
20. Where can our audience catch you live? I will be playing a few gigs around the inner west area in Sydney soon – follow my Instagram for updates and gig announcements! :)
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/shirinkalyani
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/shirinkalyani
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR_XA9uFm4Qn8ippGtdRWg