Get to know Sydney’s Andrew Lambrou, who recently dropped his seriously impressive debut single ‘Throne’.
It’s a dark, brooding and decidedly sexy piece, with pulsing bassline and powerful vocals.
It also comes with incredible music video that feels like a statement of intent; Andrew is a young pop artist already primed for the big league.
We couldn’t not get to know him more before his ride into the stratosphere.
01. Name : Andrew Lambrou.
02. Where are you based? In Sydney, Australia.
03. How did you get your start in music? I started by attending AMS music school when I was five years old to learn piano. Each term they held a vocal competition which I was sure to enter which is where I found my love for singing.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Dark, emotional, confident, melodic, expressive.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. After I found my love for music I stuck by its side my whole life. My passion was always music. I knew I needed to do this for the rest of my life.
I saw social media could be a great platform to achieve my goals so I started posting covers onto Instagram. With persistence and a true enjoyment in what I was doing, I started to see things grow which motivated me so much keep moving forward to achieve my life goals.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? My earliest music memory was winning the AMS vocal Eisteddfod where I had to sing ‘Doh A Deer’ at five years old. This is where it all began for me!
07. Who have been your musical influences? My musical influences are The Weeknd, Michael Jackson, Charlie Puth, Bruno Mars, Ludwig Goransson, Hans Zimmer, D-Train, Zayn to name a few.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? This is a very hard question, and it’s hard to give a definitive answer, but songs like ‘Thriller’ and ‘Beat It’ by Michael Jackson, ‘Tessa’ by Steve Jablonski, ‘The Kill’ by 30 Seconds To Mars and ‘Dusk Till Dawn’ by Zayn and SIA are up there!
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? Literally anywhere! I’ve always said that no matter what mood, time or place, music is there for you. I listen to so many different genres. I listen to metal, EDM and rock at the gym, but sometimes overlooking a night sky I will listen to my favourite musical scores from movies and games. Anything to fit my mood!
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling : Happy? Sad? Introspective? Exhausted? There’s so many to choose from because of my diverse taste in music, but some of my go to artists would be Bruno Mars and Fisher for happy.
Sad but also introspective would be Steve Jablonski, Hans Zimmer and John Williams and exhausted would be anything that hypes me up to continue to be motivated when I’m just not feeling it, such at the weeknd, Led Zeppelin, Avenged Sevenfold and D-Train.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? This one is a little hard to remember, but I honestly believe it was Guy Sebastian’s album ‘Just As I Am’ when he won ‘Idol’. I was five years old at this time.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. Fun fact about me is I’m a very goofy person who has an extreme passion for movies and games. Marvel, ‘Harry Potter’ and ‘Lord Of The Rings’ have a special place in my heart.
I also have always been obsessed with collecting things, so Marvel memorabilia is definitely something that makes me open my wallet pretty damn fast haha.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? In my head there was never any other option, but if I had to choose it would be a professional basketballer in the NBA.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Best advice I was given is to always be kind. Music is a very diverse career with many emotions and feelings to be expressed, but being kind goes such a long way. You never know what could come back around to you in this big world!
15. What’s been the highlight of your musical journey so far? The highlight of my music journey has been signing with City Pop Records and Sony ATV publishing. This was such a milestone for me to get my career moving forward after the consistent hard work on social media.
16. What’s been the strangest experience you’ve had in the business? My strangest experience in the business would be performing with no fold back speaker. I had to sing with an instrumental that I could barely hear which made the performance an interesting one.
17. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? I would trade places with Bruno Mars. His music has evolved so much and he’s at a point in his career where he is so respected. I love that.
18. Tell us about your debut release. My debut release ‘Throne’ is about believing in yourself and foreseeing yourself at the top before you’ve even reached it. I’ve always believed in law of attraction and really knowing your abilities because anything is possible.
It’s been an amazing experience releasing this as my first single and getting such a fantastic response. Nothing motivates me more!
19. What do your future plans involve? My future plans involve releasing much more music! I have so much material that I want to show to the world. I love music and I love putting 100% of my efforts into releasing the best music I can create for people to enjoy.
SOUNDCLOUD : http://soundcloud.com/andrewlambroumusic