Get to know Melbourne artist Jess ball, who’s dipping her toes into the solo pool for the very first time with her debut single ‘Upside Down’.
Jess is no stranger to the biz, however; she’s already collaborated with the likes of Dash Berlin and Melbourne’s own NERVO.
But her debut solo effort ‘Upside Down’ is a tasty little number. One listen and you’ll understand that Jess is an artist ready to use her powers of pop for good.
Get to know a little more about her in our latest feature.
01. Name : Jess ball.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne.
03. How did you get your start in music? First of all my friend in year five told me that I had to join the choir and I have loved performing ever since. I continued to have singing lessons throughout all of my schooling, and after year 12, my teacher actually put me onto 1&2 productions and SCM Management, which I am forever grateful for!
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Creative, deep, pensive, passion, grounded.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I used to sing a lot of pop because I would just grab any old karaoke from YouTube and sing away. It wasn’t until year nine that my singing teacher taught me a few guitar chords and I developed a more indie, acoustic sound.
I loved making my own versions of pop songs – slowing them down and changing them up a bit! Of course then I started making my own music and had a lot of fun doing so!
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? My first solo at school assembly – my mum was a teacher at the school and didn’t even know I could sing. All of a sudden I was up in front of the whole school singing and mum was so confused, but thrilled that I had gotten involved.
07. Who have been your musical influences? I’ve listened to Jack Johnson and Missy Higgins since I was born because my parents are obsessed. I feel like this formed my love for an acoustic, laid back style of music. I gradually found my own passion for artists such as the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Tom Odell, Gorillaz and many more as I have grown up.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? ‘Another Love’ by Tom Odell, ‘Don’t Forget Me’ by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and ‘Caroline’ by Jadu Heart.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? On a run. I honestly think it just feels different when you can move in time to what you’re listening to – there’s something very freeing about it.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling : Happy? When I’m feeling happy I will always go for some some Bob Marley or old school rap like Ice Cube or Biggie Smalls.
Sad? Sad always calls for some Jadu Heart or Death Cab For Cutie.
Introspective? When I’m feeling introspective I like to listen to something very chill, and with little lyrics like Maribou State style of music. I’d say I listen to this style of music when I’m feeling exhausted too.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? ‘So Fresh’ of course!
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I love surfing!
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? If music wasn’t an option, I’d love to venture into fashion design.
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Stop caring about what other people think.
15. What’s been the highlight of your musical journey so far? The highlight for me has been working alongside EDX and creating music together. It’s crazy to think that growing up I would listen to all of his music and dance to it at parties, and now here I am making it with him!
16. What’s been the strangest experience you’ve had in the business? I get some pretty funny messages.
17. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? Any artist who is touring and performing. I love getting creative and writing in the studio, but I’m itching to get out there and show what we’ve put together!
18. Tell us about your debut release. ‘Upside Down’ is a song about people making you think you’re crazy, when really you’ve done nothing wrong at all. I think a lot of people are made to question themselves, and feel confused in confrontational situations. The song is basically making light of these situations and questioning why people get so worked up over nothing.
19. What do your future plans involve? Music. I never want to stop creating music and sharing it with people.
20. Where can our audience catch you live? Shows TBA.