In our latest feature, we get to know JaZZella, a new artist from Queensland’s gorgeous Sunshine Coast.
As you’ll discover, the Sunshine Coast Daily predicted years ago that this was a young lady who was born to sing.
And, by gad, they were right!
JaZZella recently released her debut single ‘SHOOT’, so we decided to roll out our 20 probing questions to her to see what she had to say for herself.
So join us, won’t you, as we get to know JaZZella!
01. Name : JaZZella.
02. Where are you based? I’m based on the beautiful beaches of the Sunshine Coast, Australia. This is my hometown!
03. How did you get your start in music? I began singing and writing songs before I had even learnt how to talk properly! At three years old the Sunshine Coast Daily published my first editorial which was headlined ‘This Star Was Born To Sing’ (below). That’s where it all started and since then I have never stopped pursuing my dreams.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Daring, sassy, motivated, heartfelt aaaaaaand quirky. ;)
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. I have always been drawn to writing pop/soul music – I love creating catchy hooks and melodies. When I was about 14 I really began taking my songwriting seriously and had so many lyrics pouring out of me that the only way to make it all fit was to start rapping. Most of my songs contain a bit of rap or spoken word and this is where I really enjoy telling the story of the song.
My sound then developed once I turned 18 and began playing with bands and discovering how to direct them to create a bigger sound around me than just myself and my acoustic guitar. This was a really exciting change that led me into learning about how to understand, describe and produce my music on my laptop using Logic Pro.
Last year I finally took many years of laptop jams that I’d recorded at home with my band and was able to polish it up and bring the sounds to life at Yama-Nui recording studio.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? Every single night my mum and I had a routine of cuddling in bed at night and singing five songs together before I would fall asleep. I still remember those nights and it’s probably a big factor as to why music has always brought me so much joy. I remember auditioning for a Disney TV show when I was about three (it was an American version of Hi-5).
07. Who have been your musical influences? I have always been inspired by Ella Fitzgerald – I love her vocal creativity and freedom. Amy Winehouse is one of my favourite songwriting influences – I love the authenticity in her lyrics and the way she sang her songs differently every time she performed live.
I was also really influenced by Mac Miller’s last album ‘Circles’. I love the minimalistic but futuristic production. That album always brings me a lot of peace.
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? I love ‘Blue Skies’ by Ella Fitzgerald, ‘I Heard Love Is Blind’ AND ‘Cherry’ by Amy Winehouse, ‘Loving You’ by Minnie Riperton and ‘Moon River’ by Louis Armstrong.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? I love to listen to music with my soundproof headphones on while I’m skateboarding along Pacific Boulevard which is the beach road I grew up on, on the Sunshine Coast. Sometimes I buy myself an ice cream to enjoy the musical skating experience with.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling :
Happy? Ella Fitzgerald/Louis Armstrong/Anything jazzy
Sad? Mac Miller – Circles
Introspective? Amy Winehouse. I ponder on life a lot when I listen to Amy – especially her first album ‘FRANK’.
Exhausted? I like to listen to chakra healing music and meditation music that has no vocals to help me unwind and relax at the end of a big day or to begin my morning on a peaceful note.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? ‘So Fresh : The Hits of Autumn 2007’!!! I bought this from Sanity when I was 11 years old and I listened to it on repeat for years :’) I loved every song!!! It had Gwen Stefani (‘Wind It Up’), Fall Out Boy (‘This Ain’t A Scene, It’s An Arms Race’), The Killers (‘Bones’), The Fray (‘How To Save A Life’), Fergie, P!nk and more!!!!
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. I have raised two of the cutest cats in the world. One is called Taco and the other is called Burrito. They are twin brothers, born on Valentines Day and I love them with all of my heart. They bring me sooooo muuuuuch JOY!
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? I am quite business-minded and have always been passionate about marketing, sales and promotions. So far in my career I have remained a self-managed, independent artist and these skills have played a big part in my achievements so far. I would figure out a way to work in music business if performing wasn’t an option ;)
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? The advice that comes from within! My latest single ‘SHOOT’ says it all.
“Shoot for the starZ, follow your heart, go and I’ll meet you there, you don’t have to be scared. Shoot for the starZ, that’s where you belong. All your dreams will come true, you just gotta do you, boo!”
15. What’s been the highlight of your musical journey so far? Finally recording my album at Yama-Nui Recording Studio!! I’ve always been writing and performing but to actually have these recordings up my sleeve that I can share with my friends and audience is such a fulfilling and gratifying experience. I just held my debut single launch for SHOOT at my local music store Mooloolaba Music and was sooooo grateful to not only have the support of my local community – but also the many special people and creatives from all up and down the East Coast of Australia who came to celebrate the launch of my music with me!!
16. What’s been the strangest experience you’ve had in the business? Gosh! Having to learn how to deal with a lot of creepy people at gigs who want to touch you……SUPA STRANGE.
17. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? Tash Sultana has got it going on!!! She’s an awesome Australian artist that really inspires me. She has an incredible musical mind, has toured the world with her original music and now has been able to build a gorgeous home studio that she gets to retreat to and make as much beautiful music as she wants whenever she’s feeling creative. What a cool space to be at in your career!
18. Tell us about your debut release. I knew ‘SHOOT’ would be the debut single the moment I recorded it. I wrote it subconsciously and hear it as a bit of a love letter from within. It’s my whole message and ethos tied up into one lovely little happy song! It talks about overcoming depression and anxiety and finding your strength to pursue what you love and to follow your dreams.
‘SHOOT’ has kept me very grounded, focused and everytime I experience moments of self doubt, I put it on and am reminded to chill and just take a few breaths before trying again. It’s very inspirational and positive – which is funny because when I wrote it I was feeling very low and uninspired.
19. What do your future plans involve? I am ready to dive into the music industry headfirst!! Over the past year, I have recorded a lot of music which I plan to release single by single, before the full album drops towards the end of 2021. I love performing live with my band and aim to appear at as many Australian Music Festivals as I can get to.
I am always songwriting and plan to record my second album at Yama-Nui Recording Studio in January 2022. I love making content and would love to document this experience to share the creative journey with the world via YouTube.
20. Where can our audience catch you live? I’m always gigging!!! My regular public gig is on the Mainstage at Eat Street Northshore in Brisbane with my four piece R&B/hip-hop band. I also enjoy a lot of special performances all over the East Coast of Australia and you can find the venues and dates on my official website.
WEBSITE : https://www.jaZZellaMusic.com
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/jaZZellamusic
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/jaZZellamusic
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/jaZZellamusic_
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/jaZZella-coogan
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgJL2XMNhPyXLMcdWfd5vRw