Join us as we get to know Callum Hawthorne, the young Melbourne singer who last week dropped his seriously impressive debut single.
Not only is the MSquared-produced ‘I Do It Confident’ an impressive affair, the music video is as slick and polished as any we’ve seen in the past few years.
We wanted to delve a little deeper into Callum’s world, so we rolled out our series of questions to him. He clapped back with the responses below.
Get to know him a little more here.
01. Name : Callum Hawthorne.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne, Australia.
03. How did you get your start in music? I have been invested in music for a very long time. Since I was young, I began developing a big passion for it. Even through dance, I have always been connected with music.
04. Give us five words to best describe you as an artist. Energetic, passionate, distinctive, strong, genuine.
05. Tell us a little bit about your sound and how it developed. Definitely a strong pop sound. I love theatrics and contrast in music, so something in that realm is what I am drawn to when I create music.
06. What’s your earliest musical memory? Probably performing onstage when I was just three years old at a dance concert.
07. Who have been your musical influences? Evanescence has been my biggest influence and first main influence, and still are to this day. I love all of their albums, and there’s not one song of theirs I don’t know. Other influences include Britney Spears and Lady Gaga… they are incredible!
08. What are your favourite songs of all time? So hard to pick just a few. ‘My Immortal’ is a classic. ‘React’ by the Pussycat Dolls was one of my favourites of last year. ‘Beautiful’ – Christina Aguilera is so, so good. But my opinions always change depending on what type of song I feel like listening to. I love listening to many types of genres.
09. Where’s your favourite place to listen to music? My car and my bedroom.
10. Who are your go-to artists when you’re feeling :
Happy? Besides the ones mentioned, when I’m happy, Netta is really great and so are the Pussycat Dolls.
Sad? When I’m sad, I suppose Troye Sivan is great to listen to. He has some good sad songs. Introspective? Introspective I suppose Mariah Carey, her voice is so amazing.
Exhausted? When I’m exhausted, In This Moment or Die Antwoord, really just strong, powerful and intense. I love so many it’s hard to list them all.
11. What was the first album you ever bought? The Black Eyed Peas’ ‘Monkey Business’.
12. Give us a little fun fact about yourself that people might not know. If you know me well, you know, but I am OBSSESED with Marvel. I’ve read comics, watched all the movies, shows, it’s a topic that will get me talking a lot.
13. What would your chosen career be if music wasn’t an option? Definitely something creative, I’m also invested in dance, so many that pathway…
14. What’s the best advice you’ve been given in your career? Always be up front and honest with people. Hiding away from truth is only going to make things worse.
15. What’s been the highlight of your musical journey so far? I suppose releasing this single and seeing the reactions. I’m so grateful that people are liking what I’ve done so far. That’s actually insane to me. It’s very sweet.
16. What’s been the strangest experience you’ve had in the business? Every new step in things I’ve never done before has always felt strange, but putting yourself in situations that make you feel that way actually is perhaps the best thing for you.
17. If you could trade places with any artist in the world right now, who would it be? So hard to pick. I’m definitely happy with being in my place, but Lady Gaga right now or Ariana Grande. They are just amazing at what they do.
18. Tell us about your debut release. The theme was exactly what I wanted to tell in that moment. I think writing in this with some talented people, it really allowed me to just focus on the now, the future, and not necessarily what everybody else might think. This is not something I would been able to say about myself five to ten years ago, but growth takes time.
19. What do your future plans involve? This isn’t the end, I have a lot more planned, and finished. I want to create some sort of collection, that’s my goal, and ‘I Do It Confident’ is the first piece of the puzzle.
20. Where can our audience catch you live? Hopefully once lockdowns end, there will be something I could do, but at the moment, will just have to be on your screens, which still is great.
WEBSITE : https://www.oomphrecords.com/callumhawthorne
INSTAGRAM : http://www.instagram.com/callumjhawthorne
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/callumhawthornemusic
TIKTOK : http://www.tiktok.com/@callumjhawthorne
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn5dRfYIptw