Get to know JUNO, a fresh new duo out of Brisbane who today drop their super addictive debut single ‘Zero’.
It’s been described by the band as a sassy empowerment anthem and comes with all the energy and vibrancy you’d expect from a couple of Brisbanites brimming with the style of the above pic.
But just who ARE JUNO? And how did they get to the point of releasing this, their debut single?
Join us as we go into a deep dive to discover their story.
01. Band name : JUNO.
02. Where are you based? Brisbane.
03. Who are your members? Kahlia & Sam.
04. And what role do they play in the band? Kahlia sings, Sam plays guitar and produces/mixes the songs.
05. How did you choose your band name? It took an eternity to find the right band name. An exhausting journey to say the least. We considered SYLK for a while, but that ended up being a lube company, so that was out. Nothing quite fit though.
We both liked the idea of a band name that could also be a person’s name, so we trolled a ton of baby name websites (don’t judge, we were desperate) and stumbled on JUNO. The name means ‘queen of the lands/heavens’ which we thought was a cool vibe considering how empowering the music we’ve been writing for this band has felt.
06. Give us five words to best describe the band. Empowering, bright, pastel, fierce, vibrant.
07. How was the band formed? Sam : I joined a previous band that Kahlia founded via my brother, who was drumming. That project ended up splitting up, and we started writing music together once we figured out we both wanted to chase a similar sound with our music. Originally, I was just producing some of Kahlia’s solo music, but we ended up writing a batch of new songs together and started the duo.
08. Tell us a little bit about your sound. Kahlia : I would say our music is indie/pop with a healthy splash of R&B sass. Every song we’ve written feels empowering and fierce to sing. It’s very ‘yell the lyrics at the top of your lungs in your car’ kind of music.
09. If you had to compare yourselves to an already established act sound-wise, who would it be? We really like any comparison to Remi Wolf. Weirdly, after we’d found the band name, she announced that her upcoming album is going to be called JUNO… maybe it’s a sign?
10. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Kahlia : ‘Both Sides Now’ by Joni Mitchell (could cry). Sam : ‘Holocene’ or ‘Perth’ by Bon Iver. Hard to choose, so much magic happening over Bon Iver’s way.
11. Which song from history do you wish you’d written? Kahlia : Oh man.. so many. Everything Anderson .Paak has written is pure gold. Also imagine writing Britney Spears’ ‘Baby One More Time’ or ‘Oops’ or ‘Toxic’. Bangers. Also Lizzo’s ‘Juice’ would be on that list too.
Sam : ‘Freestyler’ by Bomfunk MCs – come on, you can’t deny the earworm-ness (is that a word?) of that tune. I can only hope to write a banger of that calibre!
12. What’s been the biggest highlight of your band’s journey so far? Kahlia : Well, we’re a pretty fresh act. The band only officially came into existence September 1. But we filmed the music video for ‘Zero’ recently and it was the best time.
Everyone got along really well and we all got to step into our stage personas for the first time. I found it really really empowering to play this new role in a new band. I can’t wait for everyone to see it.
13. What’s been your strangest experience as a band? Hmm, I mean, again, we’re a pretty young band, but we definitely plan on having a lot of strange experiences moving forward, so we’ll get back to you on this one!
14. Who’s your most passionate groupie? Kahlia : Sam’s mum is pretty damn passionate. She’s the best. Definitely takes the win so far. Thanks Julie!
Sam : Yeah, I don’t think anyone will take her throne there either. Love you mum!
15. Are you hotel trashers, cup of tea drinkers or somewhere in between? No trashing here, just a beer or two (or more) ordered via room service and an early bedtime. Sleep is fun.
16. If you could score the support slot for any act, who would you choose? Kahlia : We’d choose Anderson .Paak for sure. That would be the dream. Fingers crossed. Hit us up Andy!
Sam : Okay, ALSO weirdly, he changed his Instagram handle to ‘Juno Saturn’ recently as well, so after that and the Remi Wolf album name, we feel like there’s some kind of ploy in place to make us 100000% call this band JUNO.
17. Tell us about your debut release. Kahlia : ‘Zero’ is about choosing to not care about what people think or say about you, especially if (as it was in my case) rumours are circulating that aren’t true. I’ve had a pretty rough year, and there came a point where I had to decide whether or not I was going to let it tear me down. So we wrote this song! And I haven’t cared since.
Sam : It was so much fun writing and producing ‘Zero’ – trying to find a way to make sure the track felt fun yet sassy, intimate yet empowering, thing A but also thing B… it’s been awesome to experience it all come together.
18. What do your plans for global superstardom involve? We’ll be releasing singles every couple of months for the next little while which we could not be more excited about. We’re working with an awesome booking agent, so hopefully you’ll see us playing near you soon. We only very recently announced this band, so we’re excited to see where it’ll lead!
19. Where can our audience catch you live? We can’t say much just yet, but head on over to our social media pages to be the first to know…
WEBSITE : www.junoisaband.com
FACEBOOK : www.facebook.com/junoisabandd
INSTAGRAM : www.instagram.com/junoisaband
TWITTER : www.twitter.com/junoisaband
SOUNDCLOUD : www.soundcloud.com/junoisaband
YOUTUBE : www.youtube.com/channel/UCZhEWKZW_X73r0IeK9aD5-g