Get to know outfit, a fresh new trio out of Melbourne who yesterday released their first ever single, ‘sunny’.
The boys have quite an interesting back story in that they were all living in different cities in various stages of Covid lockdowns.
Staggeringly, two of them had never even met!
But as you can see in the pic above, they’re now together, united by a mutual love of bangin’ thickshakes, fairy floss moustaches and cracking pop tunes.
Get to know them in our latest feature!
01. Band name : oufit.
02. Where are you based? Melbourne, Australia.
03. Who are your members? Tim, Cam, Ben.
04. And what role do they play in the band? Tim : vocals/production, Cam : guitar, Ben : drums.
05. How did you choose your band name? You often hear people refer to bands as a “rock outfit” or “pop outfit” or “funk outfit” etc…, but since our band combines a whole bunch of different influences to create our sound we decided that our name should just simply be “outfit”.
06. Give us five words to best describe the band.
07. How was the band formed? It was mid 2020 and lockdowns had just set in all over the world. Tim was in Melbourne, Cam in London and Ben in Perth and with a lot more free time on our hands we started calling each other for company and to just hang out.
We eventually started writing together just for fun to pass the time and ended up liking what we heard!
08. Tell us a little bit about your sound. We have a lot of different musical influences between the three of us so there’s probably a little bit of everything in our music haha.
If you combined indie-pop, lofi, soul, and KPOP you’d have something that sounds like outfit.
09. If you had to compare yourselves to an already established act sound-wise, who would it be? We’re massive fans of English duo HONNE. The lofi/chill vibe they have in their tracks mixed with pop-focused songwriting makes for some very cool music that we love!
10. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time?
Tim : ‘Fearless’ by Taylor Swift.
Cam : ‘Heart-Shaped Box’ by Nirvana.
Ben : ‘Many Of Horror’ by Biffy Clyro.
(we weren’t lying when we said we have different influences)
11. Which song from history do you all wish you’d written? There’s a Korean boy group called NCT 127 who have just released an album called ‘Sticker’ and the title track is genius in the way that it is written and produced. We love the hectic-ness of the track but also how all of the different elements complement each other perfectly.
12. What’s been the biggest highlight of your band’s journey so far? Being able to throw food at each other while shooting our music video for ‘sunny’ during the final food fight scene!
13. What’s been your strangest experience as a band? After writing together over Zoom during lockdown it wouldn’t be until about six months later that we would finally meet again in person. Ben and Cam hadn’t seen each in about a year, but Tim and Cam had actually never met in person! So it was weird to finally meet and hug in real life haha.
14. Who’s your most passionate groupie? Cam’s nanna who’s always the first commenter on our Instagram posts.
15. Are you hotel trashers, cup of tea drinkers or somewhere in between? Cup of tea drinkers 100%. We’re quite partial to a cup of tea in the studio. Our tea orders are Tim : peppermint (bag left in), Cam : Earl Grey (1 spoon sugar, splash of milk, bag out), Ben : (whatever’s around, bag left in).
16. If you could score the support slot for any act, who would you choose? We would LOVE to support Ruel since we are big fans of his music, and think the energy at one of his shows would be infectious.
17. Tell us about your debut release. ‘sunny’ came from a concept that Tim had in his head after hours of trying to fall asleep. The concept surrounded the sentiment of “I woke up, but in a way I guess I could have kept sleeping” describing the cyclical nature of day to day life at the time.
We were in between houses, work in the music industry took a dive due to the pandemic and really we just needed a light at the end of the tunnel to move closer to.
From there the song grew into a full concept dealing with issues around mental health and finding comfort in what and who you have around you to collectively move towards the sunnier, sunnier, sunnier place.
18. What do your plans for global superstardom involve? If we can convince our parents to download the Spotify app to listen to our music we’ll be pretty happy lol.
19. Where can our audience catch you live? Nowhere at the moment because we’re still in lockdown in Melbourne, but let’s hope for some live shows in 2022!
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/outfittheband
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/outfitmusic_
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/outfit_music
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEn3_YgmalmG-FbwbRY0QBg