Get to know new East Coast trio PEPTALK, who’ve just hours ago dropped their first ever single ‘White Sneakers’.
If you’re curious as to whether the track title relates to a certain type of footwear, well yes… yes it does.
But you’ll have to delve a little deeper into our article to find out where inspiration for the track came from.
So let’s all bid a warm welcome to PEPTALK as they embark on their music journey right here.
01. Band name : Hey we’re PEPTALK!
02. Where are you based? We’re based across Sydney and Brisbane.
03. Who are your members? PEPTALK is Jay-Lee Kwan, Lara Frew and Phoebe Sinclair.
04. And what role do they play in the band? Jay-Lee plays keys, Lara plays bass and Phoebe sings lead. We all sing and write the songs together. Phoebe and Lara produce the tracks too.
05. How did you choose your band name? Choosing a band name was a lot easier than we thought. We wanted a name that reflected us. There’s so much positivity in our friendship, we’re each other’s biggest fans and consistently encouraging each other. Phoebs suggested PEPTALK, we each fangirled and took it as a sign.
06. Give us five words to best describe the band. Wholesome, fun, energetic, upbeat and playful.
07. How was the band formed? The three of us have been friends and songwriting buddies for years. The band formed during a spontaneous picnic at Kangaroo Point in Brisbane. Lara had prepared a speech and even though we were all immediately on board we let her finish her pitch as to why the three of us should become a band.
There were photos and Venn diagrams, it was pretty spectacular.
08. Tell us a little bit about your sound. Our sound is built around our instruments; bass, keys and vocals. Songwriting is super important to us so we produce each song to suit what the writing dictates.
Each choice is made to enhance the lyrics and tell the story. Generally speaking, we’re pretty upbeat, lyrically driven and fun.
09. If you had to compare yourselves to an already established act sound-wise, who would it be? We’ve been told a few times that we sound like a poppier HAIM, which is pretty cool!
10. What are your members’ favourite songs of all time? Jay-Lee’s favourite song of all time is ‘Bleeding Love’ by Leona Lewis. Lara’s is all of Taylor Swift’s discography and Phoebe’s is ‘All Your Exes’ by Julia Michaels.
11. Which song from history do you all wish you’d written? The song we all agreed on was ‘Motivation’ by Normani. It’s so damn good. And we watched the music video religiously.
12. What’s been the biggest highlight of your band’s journey so far? This is our debut release so the release in itself is a highlight! That said we were fortunate to win the Blackbird Foundation’s Protostar Grant and to have amassed over 1000 followers on TikTok already.
13. What’s been your strangest experience as a band? We had booked a week in the studio which Jay-Lee flew down from Brisbane for. Unfortunately on day three in the studio Lara tested positive for COVID which led to all of us isolating together for the next seven days.
It was pretty fun; we watched trash reality shows, learned how to play poker, played poker and made a music video.
14. Who’s your most passionate groupie? Phoebe and Lara’s housemate Josh King. He likes to refer to himself as the unofficial fourth member of PEPTALK. He’s so supportive and is an amazing writer/producer himself, we’ve been fortunate enough to collaborate with him on upcoming releases.
15. Are you hotel trashers, cup of tea drinkers or somewhere in between? We’re definitely tea drinkers over hotel trashers! As much as we’d love to be hotel trashers, the guilt of being disrespectful would make us clean up our mess… Which would lead to us rewarding ourselves with boba tea. So yeah, lock in tea drinkers!
16. If you could score the support slot for any act, who would you choose? If we don’t at least mention Taylor Swift, Lara will be very disappointed. And honestly, we’d all lose our minds if that ever happened! We are massive fans of MUNA & HAIM too; to support another all-female band, who write incredible songs, would be a dream.
17. Tell us about your debut release. ‘White Sneakers’ is about being completely infatuated with someone. When we were writing the track, Phoebe mentioned a real-life experience where she was complimented on her fresh sneakers and they instantly became her most prized possession.
We could all relate to that feeling of wanting to impress someone and holding onto compliments a little too hard.
18. What do your plans for global superstardom involve? Our plan for reaching global superstardom involves a lot of emails and persistence and befriending literally everyone along the way. Once we’re there, mostly just more gassing each other up… and boba tea.
19. Where can our audience catch you live? Our live show is on the way and we’re so excited to share it! We’ll keep you posted through our socials once we’re hitting the stage.
WEBSITE : https://www.thisispeptalk.com
INSTAGRAM : https://www.instagram.com/thisispeptalk
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/thisispeptalk
SOUNDCLOUD : https://soundcloud.com/thisispeptalk
TWITTER : https://twitter.com/thisispeptalk
YOUTUBE : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyFq1imsQGcMri85x8WovPA